73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Transfer Cases and Front Drivelines

NP203 Noise (Part time kit)

(1/4) > >>

Beefcake35:
Hi All, so I have a 79 k10 350/350at. when I bought it the previous owner had put lockouts in it so I decided to take the 2nd step and do the part time kit in the transfer case. Drivetrain was always quiet. 200-300 miles later I get this loud whining grinding so I drain some oil and I have metal flakes. Obviously a problem. So- my buddy had another np203 with the part time kit already in it that was in good working condition when he pulled it (I trust him). I have the swap done and now I am getting a whining noise again when under load. Coasting or less throttle the noise goes away. I drained some fluid and it looked good but I decided to do a change anyway. Filled it up to the fill plug (3.5 quarts) of SAE30 (I thought it was supposed to take 4.5 quarts. Took it for a drive 30-40 miles and still get the same whining noise. Like very noticeable whining noise. Pulled the plug and tried to add more and it still appears full. Are these part time kits known to be noisy? I want my nice quite transfer case back.

Beefcake35:
Update its more of a gear noise. gets almost worse when you let off the throttle. tried to attach a video but too large. when I am decelerating at a low speed it almost sounds like I am trying to shift it and the gears are grinding. Not all the time.

VileZambonie:

--- Quote ---(I trust him)
--- End quote ---

Working order doesn't mean it wasn't making noises. Why don't you fix up the one you took out and then swap it back in? Which kit did you use?

https://milemarker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/503-instructions.pdf

Beefcake35:
it was the mile marker kit. I can just fix up the one I had in there but was questioning if the part time kit caused the problem. Is it possible its a U joint or tranny issue?

Beefcake35:
Checked out the U joints and they seem tight no play. Where the rear driveshaft slides into the yoke there is a little play. Don’t know if I should send the old one off for a rebuild or troubleshoot something other than the transfer case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version