73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Looking for original quadrajet for 1977 C10 350

<< < (2/5) > >>

bd:
Your description of symptoms is reminiscent of a fuel inlet needle not seating properly - perhaps due to fine debris introduced from the fuel lines and tank or an improperly installed inlet needle, depending on the design.  If that's the case, replacing the carburetor may not solve the problem.  You should determine the actual cause as best you can and then formulate a repair strategy.  Have you examined the fuel filter element for contamination?

Steppin Razor:
@bd: We examined the needle and seat, cleaned parts with both carb cleaner and an ultrasonic cleaner.  I have a new (clear) fuel filter inline. [Edit: also cleaned out the passages the fuel comes through. That's why we thought some micro crack in the housing.  Everything is sparkly clean, nothing was evident taking the carburetor apart].

@Rapid Roy: I appreciate it, but I need to get it back on the road asap, so I'll probably buy one so I can bolt it on and go

bd:
How many floats - brass or nitrophyl?

Steppin Razor:
In the rear bowl? 1 float, made of plastic.

bd:
Nitrphyl floats are cast from closed-cell foam.  The foam can break down and begin to absorb fuel, typically but not always, forming small surface blisters.  If you gently squeeze the float or poke the blisters with a fingernail they will ooze fuel.  A float that absorbs fuel proportionately loses its buoyancy and sinks, causing the fuel level to rise.  Did you check the float for fuel saturation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version