73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Acceleration Problem After Pulls

<< < (2/3) > >>

78C20Daws:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on December 01, 2021, 06:42:40 PM ---Sounds like it might be heat related.

--- End quote ---
I thought it might be too, but the other day I tested that theory by driving it cold, then idling it up to temp, and then drove it around for 10-15 minutes at operating temp with no issues regular city driving/accelerating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyPopper:
So it's at temp, you trounce it, and she starts choking?

78C20Daws:
At any temp cold or hot, the first time I get on it is normal, pulls fine and sounds good, any acceleration after that it bogs badly to the point it’s hard to get it going at all.

78C20Daws:
UPDATE: I didn’t have the right size fitting for my pressure/vacuum gauge so I didn’t get fuel pressure, but I did get pump vacuum. It was 17” Hg cold, and when I got back from driving it after the issue arose, it slowly climbed to 14.5” Hg and peaked there. Thoughts? Also, [mention]JohnnyPopper [/mention], I stand corrected, I guess I just wasn’t driving it long enough around town to notice. The bogging starts slightly after a while of regular driving, but gets exponentially worse after the first hard acceleration. So, maybe it is temperature dependent. Does that change potential diagnosis at all?

bd:
Replace the fuel pump!  And while you are under there, check the condition of all the rubber fuel lines between the tank(s) and the fuel pump.  Make sure none are kinked, split, cut, pinched, spongy, etc; replace as needed.  Don't neglect the other suggested checks in case there are overlapping issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version