73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Ignition Control Module suggestions

(1/5) > >>

fiddler:
I have a 1974 chevy C10 stepside.  The engine is around a 1976 vintage 350.  It has the hei ignition.  I lost spark today.  I had a load of wood on the truck and was heading 8 miles home when it died at a stop sign.  Then it died momentarily on the freeway, but fired right back up.  It kept kachunking up the last mile of hill getting to the house.  When I got to the driveway it died 3 times while trying to position the truck to unload the wood.  Now I have unloaded the wood and the ignition is totally non existent.  I think my truck loves me.   It waited to get home and the job done before it laid down....   That being said...I have a hot accel racing coil and wires on the rig just to ensure I got plenty of spark.  I understand that the hot coil may be taking ignition modules.  I don't race the truck and I was looking for reliability when installed that coil.  Does anybody know 1) Do the hot coils in fact take out ignition control modules and 2) Is there a particular brand I should be looking for to get better reliability?  So far the rest the components check good so I am pretty sure the ICM is gone again.  This one lasted maybe 8000 miles....   I will go for parts tomorrow but may order them depending on response from you guys.  I am also going to replace the coil with a standard stock level unit.  Thanks much

Rapid Roy:
If it has the GM ACDelco HEI, replace with same parts. I had issues with the aftermarket modules until I replaced with the AC Delco parts.

bd:
The issue with high output ignition coils is the increased current demand placed on the switching module.  There is nothing wrong with installing a high-output coil as long as you install a higher current capacity module at the same time.  Consider using a Pertronix Flamethrower III module or MSD module with your Accel coil.  Personally, I would upgrade the entire distributor with a billet MSD plus MSD digital box or leave the ignition completely stock.

fiddler:
So at this point the quick fix is to try the pertronix or msd module.  In my heart I want to keep the high output coil.  It just feels better to have hotter spark.  The old girl starts and drives like a new truck most of the time so I want to not mess with what I have.   If I lose the new module as well I will go back to stock at that time.  Once more into the breech!!  Thanks for your inputs.  Always helps to share experience.

VileZambonie:
If you are running a high output coil, you also need to run the matching carbon button, cap and rotor. You will melt a hole right in that bad boy. My advice is run a stock, readily available to you unit. When you are ready, update the entire ignition system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version