Author Topic: Rebuilding vacuum lines & emissions controls in a 1979 K10 350/5.7  (Read 1856 times)

Offline dartresurector67

Hi all,
A previous owner intended to register this truck as off-road only or in a non-smog county in CA, and none of the emissions or exhaust were in place when I bought it. I was living in OR at the time so I wasn’t worried, but now that I’m back in CA I’ve been trying to resurrect the rats nest of hoses and valves. Luckily it came from the factory without an air pump.
Rather than rebuild the quadrajet that was full of mud bee nests, and dealing with a string of lemon mechanical fuel pumps, I opted for the MSD Atomic EFI master kit, which also happens to be 50 state legal.
I’ve pretty much routed everything to where it needs to be, but I am getting tripped up on the 4 way thermal vacuum port on the thermostat housing. I know I have something wrong because the EFE valve is not closing during warmup. Trial and error just got me a permanently actuated EFE and Google hasn’t been helping either.

Can somebody walk me through how to read the diagram and what each port should go to? I’m having trouble orienting the real world switch to how it is portrayed in the routing diagram next to the radiator…
Also, does anyone know what the knob is supposed to be, coming out of the bottom right of the port as shown? One way check valve?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Rebuilding vacuum lines & emissions controls in a 1979 K10 350/5.7
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
The "knob" is a metered delay valve.  What year/model is the truck?  Engine?  Transmission?  GVW?  I'm not satisfied that is the correct 4-port PVS/TVS.  Is there a part number stamped into one of the wrench flats of the valve?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dartresurector67

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
1979 K10 shortbed
350/5.7
Truck came with an automatic, was swapped for a Muncie SM465 by previous owner.
GVW 6200lbs
Not sure on part number, will check when I get home.

Offline dartresurector67

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 06:10:20 PM »
No p/n on the switch, but the box it came in is from SMP STANDARD BRAND P/n PVS82