73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Power Windows & Door Locks

Adding power windows and locks

(1/1)

gwcrim:
I know there is a TON of information regarding these two modifications and I've been searching and reading.  I'm starting this thread as a place to ask the silly questions that I can't find clear answers to elsewhere.  This project is still in the planning phase.  It took me 6 years to work out my brake issues so don't expect rapid progress.

First silly question:    It's been a long time.  The operation of the power locks....  There was no additional button on the OE setup, right?  You just pulled or pushed the usual lock button and it operated both.  Right?  So all I'd need (other than wiring) is an actuator and the appropriate rod for each door?

bd:
Not clear on what you are asking.  GM power door locks have one Lock/Unlock switch in each door in addition to one Lock/Unlock knob that protrudes from the top of each inner door panel.  Retrofit requires the wiring, switches, actuators, and connecting links.

Edit:  The power door lock switches mount separately from but adjacent to the power window switches.

Mike81K10:
Personally, makes no sense to add electric locks and windows to a none electric lock and window truck. However, if that is what you want, get what you need from a donor truck.

gwcrim:
OK, I found a photo.  As I said, it's been a loooong time.

I wish I could find a nice donor truck.  Here in Ohio, most of the old squares have all but rusted away.

That raises another question:  What is the most reliable power window system to use?  OE style or other?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version