Author Topic: Post road trip concerns  (Read 1264 times)

Offline THE-JOSHTER

Post road trip concerns
« on: November 10, 2022, 05:39:20 AM »
Hey y’all
I just drove about 750 kilometres down to South Dakota and about an hour ago I noticed my truck was kind of idling roughly and also started lurching as it shifted gears. A few times I heard a whistling noise as well. I’m gonna give it a closer look at noon to actually see if anything is up but for tonight I grabbed the upper rad hose and it was hot and I grabbed the lower and it was cold so I’m wondering if something is wrong with my pump? I didn’t open the cap to check the level but there was fluid in the overflow. Also a good note that when I started my truck up to leave this morning the freeze plugs blew out and I had to replace them before leaving. The coolant I had on hand to replenish was pre mix and concentrate so I know the ratio is definitely higher than 50/50. Also I pulled the dip stick for the atf and I didn’t really see much on there….. but I’m just sceptical that I could have no trans fluid and a broken water pump and still have driven 200 Kms at around 60mph? Is that possible? I have until Sunday to head back but just wondering if y’all think there could be other points at fault or causing problems. I’ll update on my inspection around noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Post road trip concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 03:25:27 PM »
Engine over heating can cause your freeze plugs to blow out. Can over heat because of a bad thermostat or low coolant will cause the engine to over heat. Radiator caps are supposed to release pressure and can cause over heating, less likely though. A rusted/corroded freeze plug can easily blow out as well. I have heard freeze plugs should be changed after 100,000 miles, I have never changed one unless rebuilding an engine and then I always use brass plugs. Proper antifreeze mixtures should prevent rust out and corrosion.

Normally there is a leak from the weep hole if your water pump is bad. If you are low on trans fluid or water and you have over heating, you are not going to drive a long distance. You may want to check your radiator and oil and ensure there is no oil in the radiator fluid or water in your oil.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
Hey y’all so I did my check and I’m pretty sure my thermostat crapped out and broken open. I replaced it yesterday so we’ll see today if everything heats up properly. As for my transmission I read the fluid again and it was low so I dumped 2 quarts into it. I looked for a leak but I didn’t see any evidence of one. I dunno where it went but I’ll keep an eye on levels the way back now. Also if I over fill my fluid for the transmission does that present any problems?

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
Overfilling the transmission can cause serious damage and leave you stranded. Ensure it is not over filled. Transmissions should not be losing fluid. Same with engine oil, do not over fill. You should clean up the engine and transmission with engine cleaner. Then you can look and find any leaks when the transmission and engine is dry and clean.  If the transmission is leaking, the most often cause is the pan and you can install a new gasket if needed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:01:48 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »
I realize this is an older thread but wondered if it got resolved.

You can have a leaking modulator valve on the transmission that sips up oil into the intake manifold over time.

Pull the rubber hose at the valve, it should be dry, if not, change the modulator valve.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 12:35:34 AM »
I realize this is an older thread but wondered if it got resolved.

You can have a leaking modulator valve on the transmission that sips up oil into the intake manifold over time.

Pull the rubber hose at the valve, it should be dry, if not, change the modulator valve.
Well I got it home and it’s been about fine since then. I had overfilled my transmission by a quart when I panicked after the fluid checked. Stopped at an oriellys and got a fluid transfer pump and sucked some out. I ended up replacing the thermostat as well. Lower rad hose still is cool to touch but both feel more pressurized. Since then both engine and trans fluid levels are fine

I will check the valve though to be sure that wasn’t or isn’t going to be a problem.

I have another two issues that popped up but I am gonna start another thread instead of building a list here. All’s I’m happy with is getting back home and not being stranded in SD