73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Members Rides

1975 GMC Jimmy Barn Find

(1/4) > >>

VileZambonie:
Here's one I've been after for years, tucked in a barn peaking out at the world and teasing me every time I drove by. I reached out to the owner and he responded. Original owner, 58K miles, gave me the whole back story on it which I will post here later. We went back and forth a bit and turns out we had a lot in common beyond the truck, he was also an automotive teacher. Unfortunately he got sick and passed away before I got to meet him in person. His wife emailed me and I bought the truck and got it home. I power washed it a few times and pulled the spark plugs, shot pb blaster in the cylinders and got it to turn over. I'm going to throw some plugs in it and see if it will run. From what he told me, it hasn't ran since about 1989 so I'm sure the gas looks like tree sap, but we will see. I'm just happy to have it here now at its new home.

Shifty:
That's a big fear of mine, getting into a big project, then die, and leave my wife (who is clueless when it comes to vehicle worth) in a mess. 

I'm IN! for progress pics though.   :D

VileZambonie:
Well luckily for me my cousin is a wicked gearhead like me and would know what to do with all of my possessions.

I put a few gallons of gas in after changing the plugs and it started to pour out faster than I poured it in. Tank is rotted so no need to worry about bad fuel, it self-drained  8). I have a tank and sender in stock so once I get it on the lift, that will be going in. After I cleaned up the spillage, I rigged up a small feeder tank and got it started. It runs REALLY good! I mean after never running for at least 33 years, I am impressed. The brake pedal would not budge but with a little force it popped and there is no pedal. I picked up a new master, hoses, calipers, wheel cylinders, pads, shoes and rotors. One of my vendors sells AC Delco so most of it is all AC Delco, which sort of matters since my intent with this truck is a stock restoration. I mean what's an unmolested, original owner, 58k mile 1975 Jimmy worth  8) Time will tell ...

fitz:
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your 75 Jimmy parked next to your 75 Blazer.

JohnnyPopper:
Happy for you VZ! Patience paid off. Sorry you didn't get to hand the man his cash...maybe you'll get a chance to discuss it later.

Just me, but I notice that Jimmy's are not has hot as Chevy's in most categories, judging from auction sites like BaT.

A late 70's Blazer went for 80K yesterday, when a 77 GMC did not do so well- AT ALL!

For some, it's just adding to the family of cousins that results in the joy of bringing these trucks back to life.

Look forward to seeing the fruit of your labor!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version