73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Suburbans

which way to go......

(1/2) > >>

Creeper:
Hi, I think this is a great site. Nice to see some stuff on the 'forgotten' chevies. I could use some advice.I'm building a 84 suburban, 350, 700r4 or T350-I,m not sure yet, 3:08 diff, headers to dual flowmasters, K-N filter set up with dual air intake. What do ya think will be my best route to gettin some "descent" fuel economy. Any tricks or opinions.? I will be doin about 50/50 city-hwy.

Thanx.

79crewcab:
I think the best way to go is with the 700R4.  Your gearing may be little too high depeding on the tire size.  You'll love the overdrive.  When your all done you want the Rig to cruise at about 2100 rpm at 70mph.  There are places on the net that have the calculations you need to figure this out depending on tire size, gear ratio, etc. Go to "Bowti Overdrives", they will give you some more info.  The super duty way to go is with a Gear Vendors gear splitter. It come with about a 22% OD and will last forever but is expensive.

Hope this helps,
Bill

stan:
While you're working the 700r4 get a late (post 90) or add the 4th gear shift delay valve (B&M), it'll allow you to hold 4th with more throttle (you'll want a little low-end torque fromt the engine, but it'll do) -- pay close attention to your carb -- a OEM Q-jet with a mild secondary should get you fine mileage --  my '85 gets 12mpg mostly city --

Another "fun" part of the r4 is the 3.06:1 1st gear - set your idle correctly or the tranny will hit second gear before you roll off-stop!

guestuser:
Make sure you use a 67 to boost your 220 which will enhance your 700r

79GMC4x4:
Very funny... '79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version