General Site Info > Welcome

Just Discovered this Site..I Can't Believe It

(1/2) > >>

johnnymk:
I was looking for information on lower control arms for my '83 Stepside and accidentally found this great site.

I had no idea that there would be a site devoted to 73-87 Chevy trucks. I subscribe to Sport Truck and Custom Classic Trucks, but their information regarding these trucks lately has been spotty to say the least.

What really surprised me recently was trying to find 16" and 17" wheels for my truck. It appears that the 5 on 5 bolt pattern custom wheel is becoming almost extinct. I figured that very few people were interested in this era of Chevy trucks after this discovery.

But I guess not.

Attached are pictures of my '83 Chevy stepside which I have been working on forever. It has been lowered with dropped spindles, short coil springs and the typical de-arched leaf springs and lowered shackles, etc.

I shortened the bed 4 inches and recessed travel trailer tail lights into the fenders.

The hood scoop is a fiberglass unit molded into the stock hood. The engine is a bone stock 305 with a 350 trans.

Novadiecast:
Welcome to the site and that is a great looking step side you have. Love the color.

Captkaos:
Welcome to the site.  Sweet looking stepside.  How about a pic from the side.  I want to see what the bed looks like shortened?  What was the motivation that made you decide to shorten it?

johnnymk:
I saw one in Englishtown, NJ years ago and i was really impressed with it. When a rolled pan is installed, there is just too much overhang.

If you notice, I fabricated a 1/4 inch plate which replaced the ugly reinforcement for the rear of the bed. It's a bit more stylish.

The truck has 220,000 miles on it. I have driven it a little over a thousand miles since I customized it. I have replaced the floors, rocker panels, body mounts. And I made my own oak bed rails.

The truck has American Racing Torq Thrusts riding on 17" tires. 

I originally had 3" dropped spindles and 2" dropped coil springs. Well, I hit a deep pot hole and it destroyed one of the lower control arms. I decided to look for 2" dropped spindles and just recently installed them but with 3" dropped coils.

There was only 2-1/2" clearance under the control arm, and i was still bottoming out over potholes. So this weekend I reinstalled helper airbags inside the coils and got another 1/2" clearance. I am pretty happy with it now.

Captkaos:
Looks good.  You can definitely tell you took some out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version