Author Topic: adding air conditioning  (Read 20299 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: adding air conditioning
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »
right, accumulator--the evaporator is in front of radiator. 
As far as peicing this thing together, do not use a used accumulator. Once exposed to the air, it is worthless.  A guy at auto zone tried to see me one with an open box.  I looked at it and the plastic threaded plugs were removed.  I gave it right back to him and said "no thanks". Of course he didn't understand.

That's why many stores will not sell (or warranty) a compressor without a new accumulator (and orifice sometimes).

Thanks for keeping me straight Vile.

SGT Del I don't mean to keep correcting you LOL but the evaporator is inside the plenum distribution box. The condenser is in front of the radiator  ;D And you're absolutely right about the accumulator staying sealed. It basically has a giant desicant bag and a filter inside it. The silica gel is used to absorb moisture. All it takes is a drop of water in your ac system to form hydrochloric acid in R-12 systems. Fill your compressor with about 6 ounces of ester oil if you are retrofitting it. Once you have all your components installed have someone with an ac machine or vacuum pump vacuum the system for a minimum of 30 minutes. Vacuuming to 30in Hg will allow moisture to vaporize at room temperature essentially making it completely dry and moisture free. It is very important to measure how much oil you pulled out while vacuuming it. So if you initially filled your compressor with 6 ounces and pulled 3 out while vacuuming make sure you put back in enough to make 8 oz in the system and then you can charge it.

edit* don't forget to drain the oil from the compressor too before installing it. Mineral oil is not compatible with R134A
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:59:35 AM by VileZambonie »
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »
stand corrected again.  The evaporator is that peice that is the hardest to replace.  I have replaced the evaporator in my sub rear--definately easier to get to.
Yes, condensor is in front of radiator.  I am terrible with the names of the components.

Offline wrangler

• 85 C-10 350 carb 2wd recently added air
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »
Getting close now.  My next question is about the plenum valve, how do I install it and where exactly?  And also where does the water that drips down onto the ground with the ac running actually come from?  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:47:30 PM by wrangler »

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »
Your a/c is basically a dehumidifier...humidity is sticky and hot.  As the air goes through the evaporator i believe it is like condensation---like a glass of ice water on a table without coasters....leaves a ring of water.  The water is cold and the air that hits the glass releases its water. Sort of like how clouds are formed---condensing in the atmosphere.

Offline wrangler

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 08:35:10 PM »
I guess what I meant to say was where on the unit does it drip from.  Just wondering if there is a drain hole or line that I didn't see.

Offline wrangler

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
Was wondering if someone had a picture of where the vacuum tank is mounted?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »
You mean the vacuum reserve tank? It's bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. You can't miss it. The evaporator drain also comes through the firewall into the engine compartment.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline wrangler

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
Does the belt for the ac go from the compressor to the power steering pump and to the crankshaft?  I figured that it went from the p/s pump to the ac compressor only.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
On my 75 454, the belt goes from the AC to the Pwr Steering Pump to the crank and then to the water pump. pwr steering pump has a doulble pulley. I think the same configuration was on the small blocks, too.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »
Mine is routed that way too, AC, PS pump, Crank, and water pump.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline wrangler

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks!

Offline wrangler

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »
would I need a water pump with 2 grooves or 3 on this setup?