73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Members Rides

1983 GMC Sierra K1500 project...

(1/1)

Fordeatinz71:
well, i see most everyone else's project threads here, so i figured i'd post mine as well.  i got my truck from the 2nd owner in March, 2007.  it had 71k original miles (confirmed by paperwork and carfax) and now has 77k on it.  it has a 305 (VIN H) with a 4bbl carb and a 700R4 with hideously tall 2.73 gears.  it didn't come with many options, but i do like what it came with, it has tilt steering, cruise, full gauges (minus tachometer), nice AM/FM Cassette stereo (has a Sony CD player now), A/C, 4 wheel drive, and the nice aluminum wheels.  it is pretty much all original minus the Sony CD player and Michelin 31" A/T tires, it still even has the auto-locking hubs!

here is the truck as i bought it. 

i later found out that the bugshield had caused a rust spot on the hood (had been trapping dirt, it was only a surface rust spot but still...), and the toolbox had a see-through floor and the headache rack looked like it belonged on an '82 Z28 (i like 3rd gen F-bodies, but never liked the louvers)...so i removed all that along with the cheesy "4x4" graphics...although they had been on there so long that you can still see where they were :(  here are pics of the removal of the stuff, step-by-step...

Here is the bottom of the toolbox...

Here is the truck sans toolbox/bugshield/ripped air dam...

And here it is minus the headache rack...

And finally, minus the 4x4 stickers...

i have a lot of plans for this truck, and i guess since this IS the project thread, i should list my "project goals" here, right?

Project Goals
-upgrade to Sierra Classic trim with power windows, power door locks, black/grey two tone interior, full gauges to include tachometer, full carpet and full headliner with all trim
-either 77-84 bucket seats (recovered in black/gray cloth with red piping and red GMC Motorsports logo in headrest) and factory console or 88-94 high back bucket seats (done the same way) with factory console or possibly '99-'07 Sierra/Silverado bucket seats
-dark silver paint with black 35th anniversary Camaro SS racing stripes
-3" cowl hood (steel)
-89-91 Jimmy/Suburban grille with billet insert and GMC badge
-custom winch bumper with 12,000 winch (brand to be determined)
-350 with either Holley Stealth Ram injection, TBI or TPI, when 350 dies, 383 will be built
-LT headers, dual 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, exiting at 45* angles in front of the rear tires
-run 700R4 until it dies, either buildup the 700R4, swapping to a 4L80E or an NV4500/5600
-upgrade to NP205 t-case
-upgrade to 14-bolt FF rear axle with 4.56 gears and either a Detroit locker or an ARB air locker
-upgrade to Dana 60 front with 4.56 gears and an ARB air locker
-add onboard air
-Line-X bed
-custom rear bumper
-add lighting
-8" lift, 36-38" Super Swamper TSL's (most likely, might go with BFG M/Ts) and Weld Classic II wheels (i like the factory mag wheels, want something that looks like 'em)
-Warn Pull-Pal winch for use in the rear reciever hitch
-relocation of fuel tank to inside of frame rails (possibly using a fuel cell or a Jimmy/Suburban tank)
-possibly removing cab/bed to refinish entire frame...not sure on that one though
-new cab/bed bushings
-lo-profile diamondplate toolbox
-possibly adding a 88-94 transfer case shifter box (the kind where the 4x4 and front axle lights up when it's in 4x4...) because i think it would be a cool touch
-steering box frame strengthener plate
-hi-output alternator and most likely dual batteries

i think that's about it for now.  stay tuned and slowly but surely, i'll be redoing stuff and posting pics when i can!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version