73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

dual fuel tank operation

(1/3) > >>

camo36:
Hey everybody, just bought this truck, 75 4x4 with a 350....the driver's side fuel tank works fine, but the gas gauge doesnt...whatever...not too worried about it cuz i always carry gas when i wheel.  anyway...the passenger side doesnt work...can anybody explain the general operation of these dual tanks? 
Does each tank have its own fuel pump?
The switch in the cab is intact...but not in very good shape...i think with some general knowledge of how the system works i'll be able to figure everything else out on my own...or with more help from you guys.

any help is appreciated...

Blazin:
Unless someone modified the truck it should have a mechanical fule pum on the motor. The switching valve is inside the frame rail unerneath about the seat area on the right hand side. Usually you can hear them work when you switch the dash switch. A new valve is approx $80 at Autozone, and a new dash switch is about $15 at Autozone.

camo36:
alright, i'll take a look at the truck.

what kind of valve am i looking for at autozone?

Blazin:
They should be able to look it up by aplication. I would check it out first before buying a new one. Could be a wiring problem?

86swb:
If you get the right tank to work make sure you do a good job of cleaning it out. Most likely it has been that way for some time and it is always a good idea to drop the tank and have it cleaned out before putting fresh gas in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version