73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

QUADRAJET 101:

(1/4) > >>

Stewart G Griffin:
So anyways, i'm finally getting it re-activated (long story why it took this long).

Two issues i'm having are:

1) The throttle gets "sticky" alot;  i can put my foot under the gas pedal and lift up and that brings the rpm's back down, so it's not too serious.  But it shouldn't be like that.

2) It "diesels on' sometimes after i shut it off, which probably has something to do with the idle-stop solenoid thing (fig.A) which i'm not sure how to adjust.

i've made a close-up, so as to better asertain if i've hooked up something improperly:

Lastly, i wonder if the routing of the throttle cable is ok?  i've traced it's route in yellow.

NOTE(S):
i'm using the edelbrock "pro-flo" air cleaner only because i feel that it is easier to tune (and see) everything right now.  After everything is in order, i will probably revert to the stock air cleaner housing.  i got the proflow off of another car that i bought and have since sold.

jonkmbll89:
You could spray your carb down with WD-40 to free up the stickyness. Your cable looks fine. Now after lubing up your carb doesn't work than your cable is sticking and need to chage it out.

Redneckchevy:
I would rebuild it...And clean it vary well...And get all the carbon build up off them throttle plates...If you dont want to rebuild it i would still clean the carbon off the throttle plates

TexasRed:
Maybe your return spring is weak? How is the accelerator pedal? Hard to push down or real soft? Have to remember, ours aren't like the new stuff where it's all computer controlled. Run on can be caused by the choke still being engaged.

Stewart G Griffin:
The choke works ok;  i've verified this visually---it opens up fully after about 1 1/2 minutes.

The pedal feels ok, i suppose---not too hard or soft i guess.  But do throttle springs weaken over time?  i'm thinking it might be the springs because while moving the throttle by hand, i noticed that it returns back to idle slowly---it doesn't snap back like it probably should.  Also, if you look at my pictures, there is a gap in the springs near where they connect to the throttle arm.  Is this normal?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version