73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

1987 r20 check engine light

(1/2) > >>

jeffinmalvern:
Hi, new member here. I've been a lurker, but this is my first post. The truck below is my daily driver, so I'm not looking to do any radical mods or anything (it's an ugly work truck, but I use it for everything) but I have a few questions....

I have a 1987 r20 with a 350 tbi. The truck runs great, drives great, shifts great (auto trans). It's 2wd. It's ugly. Lately, the check engine light has been coming on after about 5 mins driving, and stays on until I shut the truck off. Then it goes out. There is no change in how the truck runs or drives, but the light is on. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

What simple things could I do to the 350 to make sure I am getting the best mileage possible, and keeping the engine well maintained? WHen I bought the truck I changed the oil and filter, and spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I also put some seafoam through the gas tank and sprayed the throttle body with  cleaner. I greased the truck completely. Should I put a better air filter on, or anything else? I know the mileage will never be good, and that's not an issue. I just want to make sure that my engine is in the best shape it can be.

Also, how do I tell which auto trans I have?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Captkaos:
Welcome Jeff.  You can pull the codes out of the ECM with a jim clip jumpered to the to right 2 pin slots of the ALDL connector right above your left leg under the dash.  Bend the jim clip, push it in and switch the power on the ingnition (don't crank it).  Then count the number of flashes, the first 3 will be twelve signified by flash, pause, flash, flash.  If there are multiple codes it will flash more than on sequence, count them out and tell us what they are.

As far a mileage goes, keeping it up is the best thing, just make sure the air cleaner isn't clogged, should be fine.  Change the oil ever 3000 etc.

For the transmission, look at the pan and reference it to this picture it will tell you what kind it is.

jeffinmalvern:
Okay, got the trans figured out- it's a thm400.
when you say a jim clip, what do you mean? is that a special tool, or just like a jumper wire. Sorry for the newb questions, but I've not really worked on my own truck much before.
Thaanks again for all the help.
Jeff

Captkaos:
When I say Jim clip I mean a metal paper clip.  Anything that you can get in there will work.

VileZambonie:
LOL, I've never heard of a jim clip either. Must be an Alabama thing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version