Author Topic: Ignition timing.  (Read 3390 times)

Offline mgr3614

Ignition timing.
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
I curretnly installed an Edlebrock Performer RPM into my 305. I cant seem to get it running right. i can get it turned on but cant get it to idle. And when it is on its real shaky. I have no clue how to use the timing gun.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Ignition timing.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
All you changed was the intake?
Check to verify you plug wires are connected correctly.  It should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.  Typically looking into the engine bay the two plug connectors post on the cap are close to parallel to the front of the truck, the one on the left (passenger side) is #1, the one on the right (drivers) is #2.  To use the timing light, connect the positive and negative to the battery and the spark lead to the #1 plug wire.  Point that down to the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and find the timing mark and the number it is located.  Typically you need about 8-10 degrees initial timing (disconnect the advance hose)  Rotate the distributor to get it to that point.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
timing
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Are you sure the intake gasket set correctly?  try  spraying some wd40 or starter fluid around the perimeter of the intake.  If the rpm's go up, there is a vacuum leak.  

SgtDel  

Edited by: SgtDel at: 10/4/05 2:22 pm

Offline RSBAD454

Re: timing
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »
sounds like a really bad leak or your timing is waaaaay off.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://