Author Topic: 87 305 TBI stalls in reverse  (Read 5768 times)

Offline FULLSPEEDJUNKY

87 305 TBI stalls in reverse
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
I have an 87 silverado 305 TBI all is stock (2wd) 700r4
This thing has always stalled when I shift to reverse. I have to give it gas right away before it dies to keep it from stalling. I also notice that it stalls after I come to a stop in forward when the motor is warmed up. The motor will idle fine for about 15-20 seconds then stumble and die. I now just shift into N when at a stop light. I did spray around with some carb cleaner to look for a vacume leak with none found. I pulled the IAC and cleaned it and that helped a little bit.

Eric

Edited by: FULLSPEEDJUNKY at: 10/10/05 7:48 pm

Offline DnStClr

Re: 87 305 TBI stalls in reverse
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »
Fullspeed, how is your transmission fluid? Does it smell "burned," or look dark when compared to new fluid? If it does, you need to change out that old completely with new, and the tranny filter too. It's possible that your torque converter may be bad and needs replaced.  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
This is a definite possibility.  The only bad part other than having to remove the engine or tranny is that, if the tc is shot, the tranny may be bad as well.  I have had one go out and it shot metal all through the tranny.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

Offline FULLSPEEDJUNKY

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 07:21:00 PM »
tranny fluid is nice and red
idle is a little high.

I dont think it is tranny related. I think it is in the FI system.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
Re-reading your post kinda points to a fuel problem, doesn't it? Like the fuel pressure is faling. If you have 2 gas tanks, does switching tanks make a difference? If it does, I would suspect the sending unit in the "bad tank". If there's no difference, don't despair-there's still all kinds of stuff to check-:)   the air filter and/or the fuel filter, the egr valve, actually, hooking it up to an analyzer might throw a code and give you a fix.  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline FULLSPEEDJUNKY

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
I do have dual tanks and it will stall when switched from the right tank to the left. Last year I replaced the switch and the unit between the tanks to try to fix the problem but it only worked for about a few days. ($140 waste!) It will switch tanks at higher RPMS with some luck I notice a very minimal lack of power from that tank. Thinking week fuel pump???? I hooked up a scanner with no codes generated. I realize that I need an adjustable FPR but I am hesitant to just purchase one thinking I might just go ahead and get the Holley TBI or another ready to run TBI from another aftermarket company. Any recomondations with expierience to back it up??? I have read through the threads and links and have learned a ton of info on this setup but none that refered to this specific issue. any help is greatly appriciated!!!