Author Topic: thermostat question  (Read 10139 times)

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: driveability
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
driveability
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »
i don't think so or it hasn't at least while i've been driving. i turned the distributor a little like maybe a millimeter counterclockwise and it seemed to help since it is timed at 15 degrees so it is probably at about 12 or 13. it is running a little better since i've changed that stuff.

Offline H A REDNECK

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »
Chevy's are [cold natured] bad about acting like yours when not at proper operating temp during cold wether. I would put a 195 thermastat in set timing at o , the computer will control advance or retard. Hey I'm from TIPTON CO. myself. ATOKA

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
driveability
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
i have finally figured out what is wrong. my truck has dual tanks. the left gas tank's fuel pump is going out because when i switch over to the the right tank, when i first start my truck, or when it is cold, it won't do it. what does everybody think about this???

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »
Does it do this consistently with the "good" tank, if so, you can crank it with the bad one and then swap to the good one and see if the syptoms disappear.

I am not disagreeing, as one of my pumps went out and right before it did, the truck started running like crap and then lost power and died.  It was doubly bad since the selector switch was going out at the same time.  I was about 800 miles from home..

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
87swb, Hope you found the problem- it seems like the truck ought to be bogging down when cold AND warm when the fuel pump goes out. I was thinkin that the throttle plate wasn't closed completely when cold.(worn plate shaft bearing).

Don
87 Chevy Silverado