Author Topic: STARTER WIRING  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Schilt322

STARTER WIRING
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:08:37 AM »
Got a 79 Scottsdale that I had recently purchased I was in the parking lot and had just turned the truck off and went to turn it back over and the starter started making a sound like it was grinding but after a few times it stoped and when I'd turn the key over nothing would happen. After investigating I found that there was a wire the previous owner had rigged up so that the 2 fuseable links on the main starter stud were capped by a wire nut and that one wire gave power to the other 2.I patched the wire back up and turned the key I got power to the cab but the wire burned up and melted off again. I then got rid of the single wire and put an eyelet on both of them and put them straight to the post like it should. When I turned it over the same thing again. Not sure if bad ground and where it would be. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

Offline Schilt322

STARTER WIRING
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
Got a 79 Scottsdale that I had just turned off and went to turn it back over and the starter started grinding but after a few times it stoped and when I'd turn the key over after that nothing would happen.

After checking i found that there was a wire the previous owner had rigged up so that the 2 fuseable links on the main starter stud were capped by a wire nut and that one wire gave power to the other 2.I patched the wire back up and turned the key I got power to the cab but the wire burned up and melted off again.

I then got rid of the single wire and put an eyelet on both of them and put them straight to the post like it should. When I turned it over the same thing again. Not sure if bad ground and where it would be. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
Re: STARTER WIRING
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
Probably a direct short in the starter. Replace it.  The fusible links are doing what they are designed to do.
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline Schilt322

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
Replaced the starter rewired it yesterday and noticed small amounts of rust where the negative battery cable grounds to the body and to the alternator bracket but didn't think much of it

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
Pull the wiring back along the back of the engine. Cracks in the insulation often lead to contact near the back of the valve cover. Repair those wires and replace your fusible links.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Schilt322

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Any ideas what gauge or amp fuse they are

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
If you are comfortable reading wiring diagrams, the information you need is in the 1979 Wiring Manual.  The fusible link sizes at the starter are 2 (mm)2 (or 14 gauge) and 1 (mm)2 (or 16 gauge).  For information on properly constructing a fusible link, see How to make a Fusible Link in the Technical Pages of this site.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Schilt322

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
Thank you that helps tons!! I'm gonna be doing that this weekend

Offline Schilt322

Junction block wire bypass
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
Having problems with starter wiring. I was told that I could run a guard wire from the battery straight to the junction block on the right stud and the 2 wires that run to the fuse box all to the right stud. If this is so would the alternator wire still run down to the starter post?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:40:00 AM by Schilt322 »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Junction block wire bypass
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
Please include Year, Make, Model etc.. when posting, since not all years are wired the same.

Candidly, bypassing the starter wiring also bypasses the fusible links that protect your truck from catastrophic electrical fire.  Rather than patch over the symptoms and expose yourself to potential loss and serious injury, wouldn't it be better to find the actual cause of the problem and correct it?  Every cobbled patch makes it more difficult to diagnose and repair for a safe and sane outcome.  We have most of the factory original wiring diagrams on this site, courtesy of hatzie.  What isn't available in printed form on the site can surely be addressed by one of our members with knowledge of GM truck electrical systems.

So, what is the issue plaguing your truck?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Schilt322

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
1979 k10 Scottsdale. Had where the trucks starter was grinding then when I turned the key nothing would happen. Saw a wire burning down by starter and by the junction block. Figured that the fuseable links were bad or it was grounding out somewhere so I replaced all the wires and fuseable links but was told this was a easy alternative for rewireing the system

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
If you burned up your fusible links then there's a reason and they just saved your truck from potential disaster. Isolate the wiring and check for breaks in the insulation. I you want to run new wiring I would suggest you do it all the same as the factory wiring.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Schilt322

Starter ground
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
Still having problems with starter wiring smoking and burning. Re did all the wiring and same issue except it would cut in and out from burning crinkle sound to not. Is it just a grounding issue? Is there a way to add another ground from starter to the battery or from the block to the alternator bracket where the battery ground is now?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
Schilt322, "Starter ground" is the fourth topic you've posted concerning this same issue.  Now that all of your "starter" threads have been collected together, please restrict your future discussion regarding this problem to "STARTER WIRING."

Your description of the symptoms doesn't indicate a bad ground.  More to the point, melted fusible links imply shorted or grounded primary wiring.  Post a few pics showing what you have done, so far.  Create two separate lists... 

Make List 1 the exact circumstances when you hear "crinkling," see or smell electrical smoke.  Are the symptoms consistent?  Do they follow a pattern?  How often do they occur?  Does it happen only while cranking?  Does the ignition need to be ON, or will symptoms occur with ignition OFF?  Does it occur only when shifting into gear, accelerating, turning or braking?  Do the symptoms occur randomly?  Get the idea?  Try to narrow down the circumstances when it occurs.

Make List 2 a step-by-step of what you have done so far to correct the problem.  Show us with pics.  Which fusible links have you replaced... how many times?  What size wire did you use - be specific?  Did you get a clear visual of the harness as it runs down between the engine and firewall or is it crusted in oil and dirt?  Are you certain that none of the wires are pinched between the transmission bellhousing and block?  Did you actually disconnect the wires from the starter and strip the original wiring out of its protective loom and thoroughly inspect it for chafing and damage all the way to the top of the engine?  Did you run new wiring inside of protective loom that's in good shape?  Did you clamp the wiring back down where needed?  Did you run the starter wiring back through the short, factory steel conduit wrapping around the back lower corner of the block?  Answer all of these questions for us, one by one.  Then take an honest inventory and verify any assumptions you may have made, thus far, with actual firsthand observations.
Rich