Author Topic: I scored me a crew cab too  (Read 21568 times)

Offline bluecrew

I scored me a crew cab too
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Sold off my mud trucks, scored a screaming deal on my new minivan.

1991 V3500 4x4, Dana 60, 14FF, sb350, 4L80E, NP205, 6" RC lift, and so far, 20MPG!!!!!
70,000ish miles, and not a leak anywhere.

Planning on some nice chrome wheels, 35" mudders, headers, some deep throaty pipes, a fresh paint job, some new stock bumpers, and some better trim up front.  Open to ideas, suggestions, whatnots. 

Small concern, I've been looking into this height sensing proportioning valve on the rear of my truck, and since I lifted it 6", you can imagine it don't line up anymore.  I figure I'll have to fab up a longer lever assembly (~6") but what I'm not sure of is how it should look stock.  Does anybody have a stock setup picture?  I was foolish enough to not pay enough attention as to how it was before I pulled it apart. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:48:42 AM by bluecrew »

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: I scored me a crew cab too
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
Small concern, I've been looking into this height sensing proportioning valve on the rear of my truck, and since I lifted it 6", you can imagine it don't line up anymore.  I figure I'll have to fab up a longer lever assembly (~6") but what I'm not sure of is how it should look stock.  Does anybody have a stock setup picture?  I was foolish enough to not pay enough attention as to how it was before I pulled it apart.
I don't have pictures for you but if you don't need or want that set up you can do away with it.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
There should be a pic on here somewhere of the Load sensing valve, but unless you plan to load it down, which I would doubt since you are lifting, you can get rid of it like thirsty said.

Offline bluecrew

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
And if I get rid of it, will the rear brakes work like a regular setup, or will I muck up my rear brakes? 

I don't plan to haul anything, this truck will be my street rig.  Used to pick up groceries, truck parts, little things I can lift myself.  I would prefer to have a stock setup like that of a regular 3/4 ton vs. this goofy contraption.  Simplicity is king, this is one more thing to go wrong.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
from what I understand that valve just adds more rear brake when the truck is loaded and squats down.  It is not needed for your intended use and the brakes will work fine without it.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
And if I get rid of it, will the rear brakes work like a regular setup, or will I muck up my rear brakes? 
Your rear brakes should work like any truck that did not come with that setup if you remove it.

Simplicity is king, this is one more thing to go wrong.
I believe in this way of thinking.

I cannot remember if the the brake line mounting bracket that is on the rear of the frame is the same for the two different systems. If it is not then you can get one off a boneyard frame and bolt it to your frame. Then attach your steel brake line to a rubber line at that bracket. With your lift you will need to raise the attachment point for the bottom of the rubber line up where the two steel wheel cylinder lines go into it at the differential cover. It's simple, if you had mud trucks in the past then I am sure you have done brake lines before and this should be no problem for you. Just make sure you have the right connection point for the top of the rubber brake line.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline bluecrew

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
I picked up longer brake lines for the truck already, I have one that is longer for the rear and it will work.

stock rear hose length: 13.625"
Rear hose length off a 94 K3500 Dually: 21.375"

I opted to go Napa vs. lift company brake hoses as they cost about a third the price, (~$18) and are made to the same specs.  I have done this in the past on my lifted trucks with success.

I was debating if I need to use this or not, and how I go about deleting this option.  It's muggy and just shy of 100* outside, so I have plenty of time to tinker with my wrenching plans.  My workshop is my gravel driveway.  Weather permiting... 

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  This seems like a real nice forum.  I might move in.

Offline big bear

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
Great lookin crew

Offline velojym

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Now, that's my kind of minivan.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:30:38 PM »
As stated, removing it will make it non-load sensing, as it it won't vary the amount of pressure going to the brakes.  You should be fine removing it.

Offline nvrenuf

• Bazinga!
    • Project Pics
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
Good looking truck, can't wait to see the finished product. What kind of tires & wheels are you going with? What's the interior like, cloth or vinyl? Is it a former USAF truck?

I gotta be honest, I found this site via Google when I stumble on pics of your truck. At first I thought it was my old truck, yours is almost identical (scarey  :o  ). It really makes me miss mine.  :'(
John

'91 K5 454, 4spd, Dblr, J76, 70HD, 5.86's & 43's
'06 Dodge MegaCab
'06 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Offline bluecrew

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:02 AM »
Drove it for the first time since the lift install.  It's taller than I planned.  I forgot about the frame being 2" taller than a regular truck.  Still have to change out the exhaust to put the front shaft back in.  I love lifting these SUPER easy square bodies, simple and straight forward.  It's just routine now.  Buy truck, buy lift, install lift, then it's normal.  Stock trucks look so lame to me... 

I don't know the history of the truck.  I bought it from a private party in Minneapolis.  The interior is mostly stock.  Someone, somewhere along the line put a different dash pad in there.  It's got rubber floor liner, cloth seats, crank windows, manual locks, bone stock stereo...  I'm thinking it was either a USAF or a county truck based on the mileage.  Just over 70k!  Fires up and purrs like a kitten.  There are holes in the bed sides similar to military use. 

As for tires and wheels, I'm still debating.  I might go with some more mild mud tires, nothing extreme like boggers or v-treads.  I put the 6" springs to clear 35's without worry.  But I hate seeing a lifted rig with street tires on it.  All terrain tires just seem wimpy to me.

I've always been a sucker for the simplicity of theses:
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/classic_ii.jpg

What happened to your crew? 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:36:59 AM by bluecrew »

Offline nvrenuf

• Bazinga!
    • Project Pics
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

I loved the crew but it I got the itch to buy a new truck do I had to sell it. I was also starting on my K5 and having 2 projects was just too expensive. It was getting too hard to pick which one I bought toys for.  ;D I sold it about 6 yrs ago. The last time I carfaxed it, it was in Wyoming.

Here's a pic of it -

John

'06 Dodge MegaCab

Offline bluecrew

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »

I loved the crew but it I got the itch to buy a new truck do I had to sell it. I was also starting on my K5 and having 2 projects was just too expensive. It was getting too hard to pick which one I bought toys for.  ;D I sold it about 6 yrs ago. The last time I carfaxed it, it was in Wyoming.

Here's a pic of it -

dang!  What lift, tires, wheels, ?  Same front bumper too?  I'm actually looking to score a 81-82 front chrome one with the lights in it.  Had that on my mud truck, always like them.  I'm curious on the details of your old crew.  That pic gives me all kinds of ideas!  I see the resemilance, mine just looks more stock and worn.  dang, you SOLD that!!!  ..I'm sorry...

Offline nvrenuf

• Bazinga!
    • Project Pics
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
Mine was a bone stock, retired USAF truck that I bought off of Ebay (in "fair" condition) from Pheonix, Az.. It was just like yours; 91 w/ tired 350, 4l80e, 205 & 4.10's. I cleaned up the body, had it painted and put a Rough Country 6" lift on with 35" BFG muds on Weld 16.5x12 wheels. I also swapped in 4.56's (which helped a lot), rear Detroit and a front Trac Lock limited slip. The inside was base model vinyl but it was in really good shape and clean. I always wanted to put a stock chrome bumper on it but just never got around to it.

Selling it was a tough decision but I needed a more dependable daily driver. I loved the truck but just got tired of trying to support 2 project trucks. I miss it and kind of wish I had it back but it was too nice to wheel and not as nice of a daily driver / travel vehicle as I wanted for the family (wife drives a Jeep).
John

'06 Dodge MegaCab