73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

So it isnt my fuel pump **TROUBLE CODES ADDED 4/19** *VIDEO ADDED 4/16*

(1/14) > >>

87ChevyR10:
After being stuck with repeatedly replacing airtex fuel pumps thru exchange after exchange, friday my truck went out again with the same symptoms as it has everytime an airtex fuel pump has gone out on me. Pulled up to the gate of the neighborhood, truck sputtered, cut off, could hear the fuel pump on at one point, off another. So i limped it in, parked it. FF to today, i replaced the fuel pump and strainer with an AC Delco, no prob on the install. Crank it up, still rough idle/sputtering. Its driveable in terms of the definition of the word, but not driveable for the street with it acting that way.

What is going on here fellas? Fuel filter perhaps? I havent replaced that yet thru the last 3 pump switches, maybe so?

oil is F/S with less than 3000 miles, new plugs, new wires. I put lucas injector thru religously every 5 tanks or so.

Help.......  :(

Tx Firefighter:
Put a new filter on it. The thing is likely clogged up and killing your pumps.

Always replace the filter when doing a fuel pump.

VileZambonie:
What makes you think it's the fuel pump?

Start from the beginning - Any codes? Did you ever verify your fuel pressure? Have you tuned it up? When it dies have you verified injector pulse and spark?

87ChevyR10:

--- Quote from: VileZambonie on April 10, 2013, 08:03:24 PM ---What makes you think it's the fuel pump?

Start from the beginning - Any codes? Did you ever verify your fuel pressure? Have you tuned it up? When it dies have you verified injector pulse and spark?

--- End quote ---

I've replaced 3 airtex pumps in less than a year after having another brand in it for years.

Nah, no codes, no obd1scanner, but ive ordered one from autozone. Haven't verified fuel pressure/pulse/spark, no tools to do so. I've done aight to replace the fuel filter and pump myselfso far. I've called a mobile mech. out here and came up with nothing. He ohm tested the map sensor circuit, said it wasnt giving a reading, so i went and replaced that, no good. Bought a haynes and a chilton, just frustrated right now. I'm kinda stuck until i get the obd1 in hand to pull the codes. Theres a fuse i could check to see if its blown that deals with the injectors/fuel system right?

--- Quote from: Tx Firefighter on April 10, 2013, 06:15:22 PM ---Put a new filter on it. The thing is likely clogged up and killing your pumps.

Always replace the filter when doing a fuel pump.

--- End quote ---
Done. Replaced with a fram. Still no green light.

87ChevyR10:

heres a video with audio of the rough idle/drop off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version