73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

New to GM 4WD Pickups: The Good and the Bad

<< < (3/3)

Mike81K10:
The most important thing is preventive maintenance and if it is abused or not, what ever you have. I would not focus on the transfer case when buying an old square, just condition and price.

frotosride:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on February 18, 2021, 04:15:43 PM ---Avoid the NP203 full time Transfer case. I think they stopped making/using them in 1979.

They are convertible to part time if you get stuck with one.

I'd look for a NP205.

--- End quote ---

I second or third or wherever I fall on this motion. I know they are capable transfer cases but the problems I have with them are simply 2.
First and foremost is its dang size...crying out loud....that's what you will be doing when you have to take one out by yourself.
Secondly, to go with that is the cost of a full rebuild, one you can be proud of...yikes!

I also second this...
--- Quote from: Mike81K10 on March 05, 2021, 11:19:40 AM ---The most important thing is preventive maintenance and if it is abused or not, what ever you have. I would not focus on the transfer case when buying an old square, just condition and price.

--- End quote ---

Test drive whatever you find. Put in 4high and low, lock the hubs and make sure it moves properly within your mechanical and bargaining abilities.
Lastly check the frame throughly. Especially where the steering box bolts on. Cracks aren't a nogo for some..refer to my previous statement...within your mechanical and bargaining abilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version