73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Clunk sound when in reverse

(1/3) > >>

Captain J:
Hello
My 1986 GMC Sierra K2500, make a clunk sound when I put it in revere?
Anyone know why, and the solution?
Thanks

bd:
Clunking with the engine fully warmed up at idle RPM or cold with the choke still partially closed? 

Check the driveline u-joints to make sure they are tight with no visible evidence of rust tracks.  Give them a shot of grease if they are greaseable.  Then, with the park brake set, engine not running, and the transmission in neutral, check how many degrees of free rotation there are in the driveline, stop-to-stop.  Check the condition of the transmission mount.

Shifty:
BD has the most likely answer, but....does it do the clunking while putting it into reverse?  A lot of shift kits make the hit into reverse hit harder as a side effect.   

Captain J:

--- Quote from: bd on October 18, 2021, 12:34:32 PM ---Clunking with the engine fully warmed up at idle RPM or cold with the choke still partially closed? 

With engine fully warmed up at idle.

Check the driveline u-joints to make sure they are tight with no visible evidence of rust tracks.  Give them a shot of grease if they are greaseable.  Then, with the park brake set, engine not running, and the transmission in neutral, check how many degrees of free rotation there are in the driveline, stop-to-stop.  Check the condition of the transmission mount.

--- End quote ---

I’ll check that, thanks 👍🏻

Captain J:

--- Quote from: Shifty on October 18, 2021, 01:01:46 PM ---BD has the most likely answer, but....does it do the clunking while putting it into reverse?  A lot of shift kits make the hit into reverse hit harder as a side effect.

--- End quote ---
Yep only in reverse,
No shift kit installed
👋🏻

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version