73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

K10 frame boxing for towing

<< < (2/2)

berserk:

--- Quote from: Mr Diesel on January 31, 2022, 04:01:56 PM ---Trying to beef up your 1/2 ton truck to 1 ton capacity will almost certainly cost you more in time and money than if you just bought a heavier truck. Not worth it in my opinion.

There are parts of the U.S. where K30 trucks can still be found cheap. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace have deals all the time in my State. I would settle on a 1990s K30 before I tried to convert a square body. The 1990s models are priced cheaper than square bodies in much of the country right now. Take a one week vacation to rural Texas and drive home another truck.

--- End quote ---
I haven't been wrenching much because of previous injuries but was in the shop yesterday for a while. Fired up the old K10 and pulled it out and came to the same conclusion as you at this point. I started realistically thinking about all the Fab work and decided against it. I just don't have it in me to start a 6 month or year-long project again which is what it will end up being as I work slow and methodical and I'm alone in the shop.

I'm out of Oklahoma and have been looking at Texas trucks, it would be tough though to make the drive down there to find out the owner lied about the condition. But buying a Texas truck is what I'm considering at this point unless I run across one in OK.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

JohnnyPopper:
There are parts of the U.S. where K30 trucks can still be found cheap. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace have deals all the time in my State. I would settle on a 1990s K30 before I tried to convert a square body. The 1990s models are priced cheaper than square bodies in much of the country right now. 
[/quote]

Yes, but they certainly don't look as cool  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version