73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

No CRANK after rain......

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stewart G Griffin:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on December 12, 2022, 02:31:33 PM ---Do you hear the solenoid engage or at least click?

--- End quote ---

Initially no, then yes.

i got it starting again.

i'll update ASAP.

Stewart G Griffin:
UPDATE:

We are back to intermittent no-crank:

i thought i had fixed the problem as i put in a new battery(thinking that was the problem) and it cranked and started right up.

This lasted about a week and then the same thing---no crank.  This happened last monday.  i didn't do anything and then yesterday i was able to crank it and start it.   Also, it rained thursday night and friday morning.   Also it rained all the previous week and it cranked o problem, so i don't think rain has anything to do with it at this point.   Just a coincidence for the first two times it happened?

i don't think rain has anything to do with it.

i don't think the battery or starter is the problem.

i've enclosed the diagnostic chart from the service manual for reference:

Mike81K10:
Run a check on your battery to see what the condition is. If your alternator is bad it may not be charging as it should. Then you might consider that there is a draw someplace from your battery while it sits. Check out the wiring to ensure there is no corrosion or bad spots. There is a chance the starter might be going bad as well, the charging system and battery should be looked at first.

Mr Diesel:
Sounds like a worn out starter. Electrical connections worn out inside or just poorly manufactured.

JohnnyPopper:

--- Quote from: Mike81K10 on December 24, 2022, 01:42:09 PM ---Run a check on your battery to see what the condition is.
--- End quote ---

Mikey he said it's a new battery... ::)

But you may be right about there being a draw that lowers CCA.

Pretty simple that the solenoid wire is responsible to fire the starter. I would start there, make sure the ground strap is good.

And finally, have you tried to start it in N? Could be something as simple as that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version