Author Topic: Probably a Dumb Question  (Read 1479 times)

Offline gmcowner22

Probably a Dumb Question
« on: January 18, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »
Happy New Year! y'all, well here it is 2023 and since my truck is still sitting at the mechanics when I have time I guess Ill have to go work on it (thankfully all the big projects are already done so I don't have to lay in the mud ). So I gotta tear apart the steering column again as well as check fuses. Ive searched the site and could not find where the wiper switch plugs in at? 
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
                                                [Cherokee saying]

1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic "Patch"

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
Re: Probably a Dumb Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 02:50:11 PM »
Does your question pertain to your '87?  Does it have delay wipers?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 03:57:46 PM »
Yes its on the '87 and yes it has delay wipers and cruise
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 05:14:18 PM »
The wiper switch ribbon cable piggybacks the turn signal switch ribbon cable.  Both ribbon cables along with the cruise control switch cable run through a flat, black plastic protective conduit along the lower side of the steering column.  As both cables exit the conduit, the turn signal cable plugs directly into the dash harness at the right side of the column while the wiper switch cable folds back on itself and then plugs into one end of the wiper delay module attached to the bottom of the steering column just behind the small removable dash panel directly below the column.  The opposite end of the delay module plugs into the dash harness.

Why do you need to strip the column apart?  Are you blowing wiper fuses or ________________?

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 09:13:26 AM »
When I bought the truck the PO said the wipers didn't work then and that the switch was bad that I could "hot wire" it to make it work  ::). So as far as I know the wipers may not even work, I had to pull the column apart to change out the ignition lock cylinder and the turn signal switch so I figure while I was in there Id go ahead and replace the multifunction switch at the same time. Reason I gotta tear it apart again is I guess when I reassembled the column that little arm that activates the turn signal switch is in the wrong place (I do that when I rush  >:( )

Also when I bought the truck the turn signals werent working either, figured a blown bulb, sure enough the bulbs were, still no signals, did some research and replaced the flasher, still no signals got to poking around the colum and noticed a broken wire on the signal switch so I replaced it still no signals so Im hoping it may just be a couple blown fuses but whats weird is I have Hazard Flashers.

Once it stops raining long enough Ill plug the silly wipoer switch in properly and check the fuses and see what's what.
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
The vehicle uses two flashers.  The flashers are interchangeable.  The hazard flasher is located in the "Convenience Center" located above the accelerator pedal.  The turn signal flasher is located in the fuse box.  The two flashers receive power from different fuses.  The hazard flasher receives 12 volts continuously, whereas the turn signal flasher receives power only when the ignition is switched ON.  Verify that both flashers are present and that the 15-amp TURN/BU fuse is installed and good, then try switching the two flashers and recheck the turn signal function.  If the problem follows the flasher or disappears, replace both flashers using heavy-duty electronic flashers that employ internal relays.

FYI - On rare occasions, a fuse can visually appear to be good with its element intact when, in fact, the element is fatigue-cracked, severing continuity.  Another potential issue arises when the fusebox terminals are oxidized such that the fuse doesn't make good electrical contact.  The best way to test both issues in one step is to probe both fusebox terminals for the fuse using an incandescent test light to determine whether power transfers through the fuse and its connections.  This approach also verifies that power is reaching the fuse from the power source.   8)
Rich

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:26:29 PM »
Incidentally, to ensure that the wiper delay module isn't the root cause of the wipers inop, you can bypass the delay module by plugging the wiper switch cable directly into the dash harness.  The switch and harness connectors are keyed and wired similarly and will directly mate.  Also, verify that the black wire on the dash harness side of the wiper switch cable plug is properly grounded or the wipers won't work.  That black wire should ground to the busbar fastened to the park brake pedal assembly at the left kick panel.
Rich

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 07:19:53 PM »
ok Ill check those if plugging the switch in doesn't work. at this point all I really have to go on is a shady PO's story of them not working because of the switch. I'm really hoping that's all it is. As for the flashers I goofed and didnt replace both of the dang flashers with the heavy duty units just replaced one, Im also hoping by checking the fuses it will hopefully help me get the dang windows working, Ive already been doing research on that too if the fuses check out Ill check the switch and the wiring at the door. *SIGHS* forgot how much fun it was to diagnos someone elses goof ups
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 08:06:05 PM »
The power windows rely on a 30-amp circuit breaker rather than a fuse.  There is a good reference on power window wiring in the Chassis Electrical and Ignition section of the Technical Forum on this site.  Don't neglect the fusible links and their connections to the starter solenoid and firewall junction block.

Diagnosing other people's follies is a time waster for sure.  It becomes even more fun after you turn 70.   :(
Rich

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 10:01:28 AM »
I will check that section out and see if I can get those dang things working, probably wont worry to much about them until the weather starts getting abit nicer. and it doesnt help my cause that the PO instead of checking breakers and relays just cut the wiring and changed the switch wiring and all so I may even have a broken wire. But still be would nice to have, nowhere near as nice as being able to drive my truck though.

Thats for sure
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 10:05:10 AM by gmcowner22 »
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 10:14:06 AM »
Are there any tips or tricks to getting that dang switch put back in all the way? I mean so that it seats fully into the column and the spring thats in the shaft of it is captured in the column?
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 11:12:50 AM »
I'm not clear on your question.  Post a pic.  If you have a tilt wheel steering column, refer to...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12525.0

I think you'll find it here

...for an illustrated guide on disassembly/reassembly.

Rich

Offline gmcowner22

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 11:40:11 AM »
The turn signal stalk or Multifunction switch whatever you wanna call it. I ordered another one in case the Dorman switch I got from Rockauto is bad. I noticed that in the end of the stalk next to the wiper mist paddle there is a spring. The Old stalk when I took it out was not only seated all the way into the hole on the column itself but that when I put the new one in it stuck out a good inch and that the spring was not in at all and when I did press on the wiper mister it did not return at all. I hope this makes abit more sense
                                                [Cherokee saying]

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 02:12:10 PM »
W/o a pic I'm guessing, but it sounds like a faulty or incomplete part.  The lever should simply snap into the switch after aligning an index tab on the switch end of the stalk.
Rich