73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Wheels & Tires

Low Profile Problem

(1/1)

wakeworld6:
I went to the tire shop to see if I could get a 50 series tire for my 3/4 ton 1980 GMC 2WD and they said it wouldnt be possible with the 16" Eagle alloy rims I have on there. He said it would exceed safety load ratings even though I will never be carrying a load in my truck. Would it still be safe to put on for example some 255/50/ZR16's on my truck...???

Low87on20s:
I ran 225/50/16(s) on a slammed 1991 1ton dually and never had a problem.  

wakeworld6:
thanks for the reply...the guy at the tire shop says that it would be illegal to put the tires I want on my truck because of the load rating, but I dont see how that matters

phaon1:
Just be careful and make sure you get high quality tires.  You may not plan on carrying heavy loads, but extreme driving (hard braking, sudden accel., and diving into corners) can often shift more weight onto the tires than you would ever see with a load in the box.  
Here's a senerio to be sure and avoid - you line up along some ricer and decide to waist him.  The light turns green and you hook up real good and the back end squats right down and you rocket forward.  Five feet off the line you hear two loud pops and your ass is suddenly dragging because the rear tires couldn't handle the sudden weight shift and poped the sidwalls off the rims.  Unlikely - but possible.  A friendly reminder from someone who has spent a ton of $$ on medium quality parts only to break them in very short order .
Chris

1981 GMC K10 – 75K miles on original parts (what few are left)
Exterior Mods –
- Royal Blue chameleon paint
- 15X11 Craiger chrome wheels
Interior Mods –
- B&M Light Truck Mega Shifter
- Grant steering wheel
- 6 Auto Meter Ultra Light gauges in dash, 2 on a-pillar
- Keyless entry
- Billet dash and door trim
- Solid headboard with four built in speakers
- Sony Mobil ES CD Deck, MTX truck boxes, Jensen AMP
Drivetrain Mods –
- GM Racing ZZ4 Engine with H.O.T. Cam kit, 150 amp alternator, PeteJackson Gear Drive
- Hooker SS headers, 2 1/2" SS exhaust, Dr. Gas x-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers
- K&N X-Stream lid and 14" air cleaner.
- Coan 3000RPM custom built torque converter
- Built-up 700R4 transmission
- Yukon 4.11 gears with titanium pins in stock 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear.
- Eaton heavy duty locker.

RSBAD454:
yes you can run these rims and tires..........my friend had a similar setup on his 68 3/4 ton........... Toys are my game

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version