Author Topic: Yet another problem (solved)  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Joec123able

Yet another problem (solved)
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
This truck has me at my wits end lately. Pulled intake to replace gaskets. Had to pull distributer and had problems getting that back in right. Got it in running and put a timing light on it and timed it to 4 degrees advanced idling. Then my starter started grinding. Piece of the ear is cracked off the block so I bought a starter that uses all three bolt holes instead of just the two offset. Now it still doing the same thing. If I unplug the ignition it will spin over all day, but once I plug the ignition back in some times it will start smooth and others it will grind. The distance between the armature shaft and the flex plate/flywheel is slightly under 1/8th inch so I’ll add a shim to get it about 1/8th inch otherwise idk what else to do...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:16:22 PM by Joec123able »

Offline Joec123able

Re: Yet another problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Why would it turn over just fine with no spark (still compression) then grind sometimes when spark is put back? Has to be timing still doesn’t it?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:51 AM »
im thinking you need to do the timing and start with finding TDC. personally i would run 14°-16° with the advance unplugged
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:04:08 AM »
im thinking you need to do the timing and start with finding TDC. personally i would run 14°-16° with the advance unplugged

Well if it’s “kicking back” at 4 degrees advanced, wouldn’t more advance put more strain on the starter? I guess I’ll check and see if maybe the balancer or tab are not actually accurate.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
Don't assume that the timing marks are right. Unless you have verified the stationary tab is correct and that you have the right dampener and that the outer ring has not walked on the inner ring your timing may be off. After many years parts may have been changed. GM used a lot of different harmonic balancers during the years and were the marks were located at different spots. I have worked on a lot of these engines since the early 70s and run into a lot of variations. Also I would double check the firing order just in case one of the wires on the dist cap got moved. That will cause a kickback.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
you would think more advance would hurt it but like mike stated, if your 4°s and your having issues then something isnt right with the timing either mechanical error or human, but something doesnt sound right. this is why i stated you need to find TDC, this will get you a baseline and tell you if your timing marks do or don't line up

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
Got piston one to TDC and checked the mark, it’s exactly at 0 at TDC and the firing order Looks correct.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
Are you timing off the driver side front cylinder - left bank odd number cylinders, right bank even number cylinders?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
Are you timing off the driver side front cylinder - left bank odd number cylinders, right bank even number cylinders?

Yep front driver first cylinder. 1-3-5-7 down the driver side of the engine and 2-4-6-8 down the passenger side from front to back. I just took a video and it is without a doubt kicking back on the starter. Time to pull the distibuter again cus something obviously is wrong there.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
after you verify that will it start at TDC?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
after you verify that will it start at TDC?

It will start it just kicks back. Onevstart it will fire no problem, the next it will bog the starter and kick back. Like I said, I took a video while I turned it over and it’s definitely fighting the starter

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 07:34:24 PM »
With the timing marks at TDCC, pop the distributor cap and look at where the rotor is pointing.  Is it landing between distributor cap towers or pointing at #1?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
Ignition Timing for First-Generation GM V-8 Engines Ignition timing, including base timing, total timing, mechanical advance, and vacuum advance

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »
Well I’m starting to think it may actually be the carb that’s part of the problem. It’s not wanting to run very good unless the timings way advanced and when i Retard it it starts bogging and if I shut it off it diesels really bad

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
know on my mud truck i had a similar issue but after fixing a vacuum leak and timing to 16° she runs like a champ now.