Author Topic: Teflon coating on slip yoke splines peeling  (Read 3436 times)

Offline 1911fan

Teflon coating on slip yoke splines peeling
« on: September 25, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »
I posted this on another forum,  but don't know how much overlap there is so was curious on everyone's opinion here. Pulled my rear driveline to work on the U-joints, noticed the slip yoke was dry and caused about 1/3rd of the splines to lose their teflon coating. The slip joint is still tight when assembled, but I have heard it is best to have the spline end replaced and re-balanced when you lose the coating. Is this truly the case? Or can I just lube it well? Local shop wants upward of $300 to replace the spline e

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Teflon coating on slip yoke splines peeling
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
i never knew there was a coating on the splines. always just see/use grease, i wouldnt worry about a teflon coating if they have grease on them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 1911fan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
I was told that without the Teflon that the fit gets sloppy and vibration will show itself.  Also that binding can occur, am hoping I can just run it.  Noticed all this when I had to pull my blown transfer case.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:07:54 PM by 1911fan »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »
makes sense in a way i mean dirt sticks to grease. but im sure ive seen grease zerk fittings on the female side

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 1911fan

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
Well, took my drive line down to the local driveline shop. His opinion was I could pack it with grease and run it, but that it would most likely vibrate and cause damage to the slip yoke eventually. Also, since I just rebuilt my transfer case was concerned about undue stress on that. He recommended cutting off the stub end (splines) and welding in a new one. Price out the door is $350 for the cut and weld, new center bearing and shaft balance.  A lot higher than I was hoping, but what are you going to do.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
grease ;).