Author Topic: what is a good setup?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline JMB

what is a good setup?
« on: July 26, 2003, 03:53:00 AM »
my truck is lowered 3/5 and still has the stock 305/350 combonation its a 1985 1/2 ton 2wd...my question...i want my truck to be able to smoke the tires on command ,catch a good second gear scratch, play around respectively with the other trucks on the road ,and handle like its on rails ,and i want it to be verry low maintenance as a daily driver.(i do understand that the harder you drive the more things break)but i think you all know what i mean) i also know this will mean going to a 350 and thats fine ..so my other qwestion ,when i find a motor, how are some ways to &$%! its condition? as it will probobly be used ..anyone who wants to help me out with these qwestions feel free to answer thanks in advance ..JMB

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
Re: what is a good setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 07:37:00 AM »
maybe before you get that new engine you should look into some more gears for your axle? what are you running currently? There are tons of combinations for 350 power-ups. your just gonna have to pic an intake / cam kit and add some headers. Ive heard one of the ignition kits really make spark plug maintenence virtually non existant. whats your budget look like?

Offline JMB

thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »
well thanx for the response in response to your question..im married and make 10.35 per hour but have all the usual bills mortgage car satleite ect.im not good with money (just ask my wife) but i need to come up with a realistic budget how do you come up with yours???

Offline bored and stroked

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »
There is no ignition kit thats makes spark plug maintanince non existant. It would be nice though...

Look for a 96-01 vortec 350. 4bolt mains, vortec heads, roller cam, 9.3:1 compression, 300hp and 380lbs/ft stock at the crank. Also runs on 87octane once you get the ignition curve right. I have one in my 79 and even with 3.07 gears it will light em up on command and scratch the tires going into 2nd [but you'll need a shift kit in your tranny for that to happen]
I got mine with 3000miles from a warrenty replacment for $900. I scored :)