Author Topic: arrrggghhh  (Read 2548 times)

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
arrrggghhh
« on: December 04, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
.....after all that trouble, MY FRONT MAIN CAP BOLT  busted >:    it sits a good 1/4" under the deck.  :rollin    i tried drilling a pilot for an extractor, but the bit broke, so i tried the extractor, THAT thing broke.  :x     it could give me a good reason to buy another motor, :rockon.  :evil    anybody have any luck this side of taking to machine shop?  or should i say hey ROUNDEDLINE.....you know of any remedy?

Editted for language, this is a family site -roundedline

Edited by: roundedline at: 12/5/05 11:03 am
jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: arrrggghhh
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
Well, to get the hole drilled now, you will need a cobalt bit to drill through the extractor.  The last one I bought was about $10.00 or so.  Then, if possible, find a Snap-On brand extractor if you are not uing that brand now.  I know that they cost more, but they are the only ones that I have not broke.  Craftsman, Napa, Ampro, Pittsburgh, all of them I have broken.  Also, how did the main cap bolt break?  Never heard of one doing that before, was it being loosened or tightened/torqued?  If it was being tightened then I would recommend a ew complete set of main bolts to make sure that none of the rest are weak.

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
yes, i've seen the cobalt at lowes for about 8bux..but it was for the 1/8 " (x2)...anyways, yea i was checking the clearances on the crank at the main caps using plastic gage when it (the bolt) snapped while i was torqueing down the bolt (at 75lbs/ft.)  the head of the bolt, if it resembles the strength of it, showed a + sign.....not sure what that means, but i know the grade 8 bolts have 6 notches right?  anyways, im frustrated......  _  << this close to being done and ready to stab the motor back in the truck to tighten it up.  >:  

Editted for language, this is a family site -roundedline

Edited by: roundedline at: 12/5/05 11:04 am
jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
Other than the mentioned solution, the other option is to take it to a machine shop.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project