Author Topic: Blow by--------New cam/crank shaft  (Read 844 times)

Offline mrnda

Blow by--------New cam/crank shaft
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
engine 292-1984 crew cab manual trans 2wd

Pulled the head off, there was blow by on the head gasket from cylinder 2-3 and from 4-5.  What is the next move for this?  I would assume having the head or block milled flush.

2nd---pulled the engine completely apart, should i change the shafts?  I have not taken to to the machine shop yet just want some input.

Thank to all.

Offline DustyRusty

Re: Blow by--------New cam/crank shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
If you already have the engine apart, I would suggest taking, at minimum, the head, block, crank, and cam to the machine shop for checking.  They will have the proper tools to do accurate measuring and provide advice.  If everything is okay, the engine can be reassembled.  However, I think it would be beneficial to install new rings and main and con rod bearings.  I would also install a new oil pump and new timing chain if the cam is otherwise good.  Others will likely chime in w/ their thoughts and ideas.

Rusty
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.

Offline mrnda

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
Thanks Dusty.  My plan was to replace all of that stuff and if necessary the shafts as well.  I bought the truck for 600 so even if i get a master rebuild kit plus machine shop cost i dont see getting past 1200 total, truck plus rebuild cost, however if i can get away with just pistion assemblys and bearings thats even better.   heading to the machine shop this week.

Offline DustyRusty

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
If the bores are still within spec. you may be able to just hone the cylinders to break the glaze and reuse the pistons w/ new rings.  $1200 seems high to me even with machine work.  Are you reassembling it yourself?

Try the links below.  Both have different flavors of 292 engine kits and prices:

https://shop.enginekits.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=938

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=954
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.