Author Topic: adjusting the shifting linkage on my 79 trucks  (Read 6451 times)

Offline VTK5Mudder

adjusting the shifting linkage on my 79 trucks
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »
I have a 79 1/2ton chevy and a 79 3/4 ton gmc truck both need the transmission linkage on the adjusted . the 1/2T I cant get into park now and the 3/4 t can sometimes . how do I adj. them ? im not 100% sure and want to do it right also where can you buy replacement linkage for them ? . also any pics that you have showing how to adj. would be a big help ! . Thank you for your help !

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: adjusting the shifting linkage on my 79 trucks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
Are these automatics?  There isn't any adjustment, check the bushing in the frame mount and see if it is worn/gone.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Are these automatics?  There isn't any adjustment
I agree that the problem is likely from a rusting body mount or a sagging rubber mount (possibly somebodies previous botched bodylift, as well?), but to say: "There isn't any adjustment" wouldn't really be correct. If you loosen the 1/2" (13mm) bolt on the pivot bar going from the frame to the tranny...you can slide the rod going to the column to get low gear or, in this case Park if binding occurs before full travel is reached. Also check to be sure the bushing is in place on the frame end of the pivot bar...slop there can effect the full rotating motion. Lorne

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
Are these automatics?  There isn't any adjustment, check the bushing in the frame mount and see if it is worn/gone.
yes both are auto's

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:00:03 AM »
Are these automatics?  There isn't any adjustment
I agree that the problem is likely from a rusting body mount or a sagging rubber mount (possibly somebodies previous botched bodylift, as well?), but to say: "There isn't any adjustment" wouldn't really be correct. If you loosen the 1/2" (13mm) bolt on the pivot bar going from the frame to the tranny...you can slide the rod going to the column to get low gear or, in this case Park if binding occurs before full travel is reached. Also check to be sure the bushing is in place on the frame end of the pivot bar...slop there can effect the full rotating motion. Lorne
the 1/2 ton has new mounts and I believe is a 2" lift that one I cant get to go into park the 3/4 ton will go into park sometimes and does need new body mounts that I plan on putting in this summer . are you talking about the rod that goes down the firewall and then pivots to another rod that goes to the tranny ? the one that comes down the firewall looks like you can screw it in or out to adjust it then the rod that runs to tranny looks like it can be adjusted were it connects to tranny. if any of that makes sense ? think I just got myself more confused lol

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »
On the original set-up there is no "screw in or out". At the connection point of the rod coming down from the column & the pivot rod (from the frame over to the transmission) is a bolt that when tightened, puts pressure (a little dent) on the rod coming down & holds it placement. This is the bolt (1/2"-13mm) that you would loosen, move the rod & re-tighten. The end at the transmission just slides in the bracket (for the lack of a better word) & a cotter pin holds it in place...no adjustment there. On the truck with the bodylift, someone may have added who knows what to lengthen the linkage...post up a picture or Two. Lorne

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »
On the original set-up there is no "screw in or out". At the connection point of the rod coming down from the column & the pivot rod (from the frame over to the transmission) is a bolt that when tightened, puts pressure (a little dent) on the rod coming down & holds it placement. This is the bolt (1/2"-13mm) that you would loosen, move the rod & re-tighten. The end at the transmission just slides in the bracket (for the lack of a better word) & a cotter pin holds it in place...no adjustment there. On the truck with the bodylift, someone may have added who knows what to lengthen the linkage...post up a picture or Two. Lorne
as soon as I can ill try and get a pic of the 3/4 tons linkage . right now its been so dam cold ! im trying to get a new brake line on the front but haven't even had the chance to do that yet single numbers and with wind way below 0 . want spring now !

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:49:09 AM »
does anyone know a part number or where to get these bushings? mine is due the one on the column to pivot is pretty much gone and just flopping around
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:00:05 PM »
check out rockauto I do believe they have the bushings . I get a lot of parts from them always have had good luck on prices . I get very few stuff from parts stores unless I need it asap I just cant afford to buy from them anymore .