Author Topic: Head gasket install  (Read 2026 times)

Offline warlok1469

Head gasket install
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
350 engine - I thought the head gaskets had a top and a bottom?????

The Felpro Permatorque's say nothing and are exactly the same either way.

So it doesn't matter, right??

Also, which bolts go into the water jacket and need blue RTV? The bottom row only, right?

If you kill a man, you're a murderer.....kill many, and you're a conquerer..... kill them all,..... YOU'RE A God!!

Edited by: warlok1469  at: 3/16/07 3:50 am

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Head gasket install
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Its been a long time since I have done a head gasket job. I think it depends on the brand of gasket used.
An old timer told me once you shouldn't RTV on the head bolts because it will through off the torque. He built my first two small blocks years back with me giving a helping hand. he didn't and I never had a leak. He said you should use motor oil on the head and intake bolts. ( he has forgoten more than I will ever hope to know about mechanics ) I have seen people use RTV, don't know the long term results of those jobs.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Thread sealant
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Use Teflon thread sealant on the threads of the bolts. This is the stuff OEM uses and works great!

www.permatex.com/products/automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants/auto_Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant.htm

And when you are using RTV use The right stuff. It costs more but is excellent!

www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Edited by: VileZambonie  at: 3/16/07 2:44 pm
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10