Author Topic: 87 HD rear springs  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
87 HD rear springs
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Got a problem. My 87 short box has the G51 HD rear springs which are 56" long, not the normal
52". I want to lower the truck by removing #2and#4 leaves and 2" longer shackles. Yesterday
I removed the rear shocks. I think they are also HD. They are quite large. They also use 5/8"
Upper mounting bolts and 9/16" lower mounting bolts. I want regular shocks with the reworked
Springs. Has anyone lowered their HD equipped truck and found the right shocks like I am
Looking for that use the same mounting bolts and are shorter. I am looking at Gabriel shocks right now but am open to others. Thanks.
Jerry

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 87 HD rear springs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
The rear shocks typically come with new studs and a combination of bushings.
It has been a while since I did a HD rear setup but I used standard length shocks with extenders on it. 
How many leafs are in there, should be 5+ overload.  I probably wouldn't #2 and #4. I would remove the bottom 2.

What are you after? 

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
Chris, I recently purchased ,from this site, your sport rear bumper and bumper brackets, which fit
Perfect. Now I want to lower truck 2/4 to compliment the bumper. I will cut 1 coil from front
Springs , which I read will give me 2", and for rear, 2" longer shackles  and hopefully 2" more by removing #2 And # 4  leaves, also overload leaf. The truck has HD 56" 5+1 rear springs I want a nice ride. If need be, I will make my own shock extenders. What is your suggestions as this is my first attempt on a truck?   Almost forgot, my truck is a 87 Chevy , short box, 350/700R4 Silverado.  Thanks.  Jerry
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:20:48 PM by Jerr-conn »
Jerry

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
If the springs are factory the 2" is an estimate.  Back in the late 80, early 90's when you HAD to cut springs you didn't just lop off a coil and call it a day.
You remove half a coil, drove around the block and let the spring settle and measure, If it was close you cut smaller sections off cutting no more than 1.5 coils off.  After 1.5, ride quality degrades, severely.

If you plan to cut the front I recommend doing the above.

on the rear you should have an overload that is about 3/4" thick, dump it and the bottom most spring and measure.  If you have 5 remove no more that the 2 bottom ones.  One set has the retainer on it, keep that one.  You won't get 4" of drop with that from my memory.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
Thanks capt. I will cut coils in front as you suggest. In rear, with that 56"HD spring, which rides
Like a brick, I will remove the overload leave plus the 2 lowest leaves as you suggested. Will
Test drop and if needed, I will install the 2" shackles too. Will do next tues. if you agree or not.
Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Jerry

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Should be fine, just done expect it to drive like a caddy.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Re: 87 HD rear springs update
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
New update for lowering my 87 Silverado short box with HD 56"rear springs. 2 1/2" FRONT DROP
By cutting 1 coil exactly from bottom of orig front springs.  4 1/4"  REAR DROP by removing 3 bottom Leafs from HD (6 leaf total) spring, and  2" rear shackles. Truck sits fairly level, just what I want. Had to notch bed braces  for enough clearance . New Gabriel.#81164 rear shocks which seem to have enough travel. 225/75/15 front tires clear fine. Rears are 275/60/15. Both sizes are about 28"" tall. When I figure how to post pics I will do that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:20:55 PM by Jerr-conn »
Jerry