Author Topic: Distributor & ESC Controller  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Distributor & ESC Controller
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
Thought about Going with an MSD Distributor and doing away with the ESC Controller. Does anyone still use the ESC Controller? Wonder if it would be a good idea and if others like the MSD Distributors. Would be able to get rid of the wire harness from the ESC through the firewall. Wonder why such a big hole was needed for a handful of wires!
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Distributor & ESC Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »
I would be labeling the box and deciding where I want to waste space tucking it away if it were me. Distributor is one of the best ways to gain power and performance.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 02:41:41 PM »
Sorry VZ if I sound like an idiot! However, what do you mean labeling the box? I normally kept with the OEM setup when working on vehicles for the most part and never used an after market distributor. I noticed the MSD distributors have a choice of the module in the distributor (like what I am use to - looking at 4 pin) and there are those that have the external module (controller). Is one better than the other and is the external module what you were referring to when you said tucking it away. I noticed most have put the external MSD module under the hood - suppose it could be under the dash. Do you like the MSD or is there a better preference such as Accel.
I thought about (first Choice):
MSD GM HEI BILLET DISTRIBUTOR
Replaces GM HEI Distributors that use a 4-Pin ignition module.
PART# 8365

Also noticed another MSD distributor (second choice but price is much better):
MSD Ignition Street Fire Chevy V8 GM HEI Distributor Red Cap
Part Number: 121-8362
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:21:51 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 04:59:31 PM »
Curious how this turns out  8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 05:02:02 PM »
As in placing the parts in a cardboard box and writing on the box with a sharpie.  ;)

If you have a performance engine, then the MSD CD box is a great way to improve the ignition system. Remind me your engine specs and what carburetor you are running?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
Labeling the box so you know what it is. Wasting space because you'll probably never use the ESC again. It's a cool idea if you get bad gas, it'll reduce advance some to protect the engine but it was finicky even when it was new.

I think the 8365 just has a different module.

Proform, I believe, makes the GM distributors for some of their crate engines. They have part number: 66940WO

However you'll need a coil and coil cover (could probably use your old one but the coil you may want a new one if you think you have ignition problems). You may also want to pick up a limiter plate for the vacuum advance, an adjustable vacuum advance and some springs for the mechanical advance. Crane used to sell a kit for all of this, but I think they just sell the limiter plate now. You could also make your own limiter plate. The advance needs to be a touch quicker so one lighter spring usually gets the mechanical where it needs to be. The limiter plate and adjustable vacuum can will help you tailor the advance to your engine once the mechanical and initial are where they need to be.

The MSD distributors that use an external coil and ignition box are usually pretty good because they normally use a duraspark pickup. The external coil also runs cooler than the internal HEI coil. You can also use a regular module if you want to mount it somewhere else. There should be some wiring diagrams for it.

Be careful with the really "cheap" distributors out there. I'm not going to mention them by name but they've flooded ebay, and I'd "skip" them.

The CD boxes are good because they can deliver lots of voltage to the coil which can reduce the amount of heat on the coil and because they don't need as much time to build voltage which is somewhat a downfall of inductive ignitions with a single coil. You can in turn get more voltage at the higher RPMs.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »
I currently have a crate 350 4 bolt main that I bought new from a dealership in Texas and installed about 1993 with a Quad Rochester carburetor, it is stock and I don't have the specs. The original engine that my truck came with was actually a 305, I'm the second owner. The fuel economy has been 12 to 15 miles per gallon on the highway, less of course in city. I plan to install headers soon and right now it has the OEM exhaust manifold with the flapper removed years ago. Has a NP205 and CH465 Trans. Currently has a cheap 3 pin carburetor that replaced the original 4 pin that came with the engine prior to it breaking (beyond repair). May upgrade the engine later down the road (have a 350 4 bolt, bored 40 over, 10-1 pistons in my shed that I almost completed a rebuild on a while back and I am currently installing the after market Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system in it. Hate how most distributors I looked at are made in China, would like to see some made in the US? MSD is probably made in China as well and I do not think much about things made in China.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:39:43 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »
Some of the MSD stuff is made in China, may have to check the holley website (Accel is also now a Holley brand). Proform is built in Taiwan, which technically is China, but not the same. Some MSD stuff is still built in El Paso, if you consider Texas part of the US.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 04:40:17 AM »
I think the chances of bringing production back to the USA, left with the last POTUS, unfortunately.

For your rig, I'd suggest a quality HEI for the simple fact that you can get parts for it easily without waiting should anything go wrong. The 8362 is a good choice.

As far as the skip white ala eBay units, I've used a few of them. I bought my first one for an engine stand build I did with my students, had to be 15 years ago at least. It still works fine, but you do have to check the advance as they can over advance if you don't dial them in. The summit branded version is the exact same unit.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
Thanks VZ, your a great deal of help. I can see you being a good teacher in Auto Shop, you are a good teacher on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:12:01 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:52 PM »
Question VZ, I was thinking about the CD box setup you mentioned earlier and may want to get a CD box after what you said and watching a video Holley has on the new MSD CD box. Was wondering about the quality of Accel since it is also made by Holley. Is it a lower quality product line? If I do get a CD Box, it may go under the dash.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the MSD 8362 From Holley. Feel this is will be fine and can upgrade later if desired to a CD.  Thanks for all your help with this!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:57:02 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
Went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered the MSD 8362 From Holley. Feel this is will be fine and can upgrade later if desired to a CD. I put another bushing in the upper Clutch Peddle for the pushrod and had to sand it dow till the pushrod fits well. Also clean my steering control box lines with steel wool (as was suggested by someone - forgot whom that was a little while back). Over the next couple of days I hope to get my wiring done and next week would like to get my fenders & wheel wells installed.