Author Topic: '87 350 dual tank- fuel pump/switching valve question  (Read 2197 times)

Offline RMC_SS_LDO

'87 350 dual tank- fuel pump/switching valve question
« on: June 29, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
The driver side tank on my '87 has issues, but I'm trying to narrow down what is going on.

I am assuming the fuel pump is the issue since I can switch to the left tank and don't hear the pump kick on.  I took the switch apart, cleaned it and tested with a multi-meter.  When the tank is selected, the gas gauge pegs well past full, again making me think it is a sending unit/pump issue.  I haven't ruled out the switching valve, just not looking at it since I don't hear the pump kick on.

I have no qualms about swapping the sending unit and pump, but $300 to Easter-egg a problem doesn't set well.  Any suggestions on additional troubleshooting or should I just bite the bullet and swap them.

Thanks...

Allen

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RMC_SS_LDO

Re: '87 350 dual tank- fuel pump/switching valve question
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
I had already looked at the schematic but I guess I'm too thick to determine what is really going on. 

Looking at it, the facts that the fuel gauge shifts (albeit pegging high), I don't hear the left side pump kick on and the switch looks to test out fine is what was leading me to the pump and sending unit.

Just looking for a "pro" 2nd opinion before I replace stuff I really don't need.

/r

Allen