Author Topic: '87 Exhaust/Cat question  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Blake_H

'87 Exhaust/Cat question
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:12 AM »
I have to renew the registration on the dd this week, and before I do, I need to install the new catalytic converters I bought.  Only problem is, during the house remodel, some enterprising worker apparently tossed my old exhaust I had laying next to the garage during clean up. I bought an exhaust kit locally and installed it this past winter with the new motor, and to save cash, I waited to do the cats until the last minute.  I was planning to use the old one to take measurements off of, but that shipped has now sailed.

Does anyone know what the measurements from the exhaust manifold to the front of each cat should be?  Or have any advice for where they should be in line? 

It's for my '87 4x4 1/2 ton, lwb, 5.7, 700-r4, with true dual, factory exhaust. 

Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: '87 Exhaust/Cat question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:32:56 AM »
True duals on factory exhaust ??? But anyway don’t have a measurement but you can just put it anywhere before your muffler
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
87 trucks didn't have "true' duals.  Trucks with cats had a Y pipe into the Cat and then split after the cat.

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
Look under the drivers side floor.  There is a shield on the floor pan.  That is where the cat was...
'90 Suburban TBI 350