Author Topic: '85 K10 w/rebuilt 305 - shifting trouble  (Read 1515 times)

Offline ejjaeke

'85 K10 w/rebuilt 305 - shifting trouble
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
I just bought a half-ton forest service pickup (puke green, spot light, winch, and all!). The rebuilt 305 runs well. Has an aftermarket edelbrock carb with aftermarket air cleaner. It's a 4x4 4speed with granny gear. All seems well, but it shifts sticky, esp when hot. Clutch fluid is ok, and clutch feels ok. Tranny *sounds* ok, but I don't really know.

Also has what sounds like an exhaust leak on the driver side manifold, not sure if that matters.

I'm no pro... just messing around with a cool old truck. Thanks everybody!

Offline 9511234

Re: '85 K10 w/rebuilt 305 - shifting trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:30:46 AM »
Have you checked to make sure the bracket on edelbrock carb is there to pull the 700r4 tranny TV cable enough? 

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »
Check the transmission fluid. There is a square head pipe plug on the drivers side about half way up the side of the transmission case. It should be right at the threads. If you pull the plug and its runs a little bit out that perfect. If not stick your pinky in, it should be right there at the bottom of the hole.
If you have never driven and SM465 transmission before you might think its " sticky " they don't shift like a car transmission. They are a little clumsy. Once you get used to them in my opinion they are the best shifting trans ever built.

Don't wory about checking for a TV cable bracket. SM465 transmissions don't have TV cables.

Welcome to our 73-87 family from New Hampshaa.
What neck of the woods are you in?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:14:43 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline ejjaeke

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »
Thank you! Sorry for the delay. I'm in Flagstaff Arizona. You are right - once I got used to the tranny, it shifts very well. Clutch slave cylinder just went out, but that should be an easy fix.