Author Topic: 1985 K10 clutch is out - leaking gear oil under transmission  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ejjaeke

Lost the clutch in my 1985 K10 305. Keeps sucking Dot3, and spews fluid (looks like gear oil) from under tranny, where clutch meets. I think it may be a seal inside the transmission, so would need to rent a transmission jack and disconnect the driveshaft, etc.... but I'm wondering if it could be something simpler before I dig in. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
Re: 1985 K10 clutch is out - leaking gear oil under transmission
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
could be the brake fluid washing years of built up crud down
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline rdfmartin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
I had a similar experience with my '86 K10; it was the newly replaced slave cylinder leaking. I put in a new cylinder, no leak, but now the clutch engages when the pedal is about 6" off the floor. Do you have a hydraulic clutch? The fluid from a hydraulic clutch would be brake fluid.

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
Could have broken the snout off of the bearing retainer . Not unheard of . (The part the throwout bearing rides on)
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline ejjaeke

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
I had a similar experience with my '86 K10; it was the newly replaced slave cylinder leaking. I put in a new cylinder, no leak, but now the clutch engages when the pedal is about 6" off the floor. Do you have a hydraulic clutch? The fluid from a hydraulic clutch would be brake fluid.

I think you are right. Looks like the slave cylinder, which looks to be easy to replace although I've never done one. Is it as simple as bolting a new one on, refilling the DOT3, and pumping the clutch until it feels right? Or must the system be bled first?