Author Topic: 1 qrt oil every 300 miles!  (Read 7372 times)

Offline 80Chevy4x4

• Registered Users
  • Honey this only costed a couple of dollars!
Re: 1 qrt oil every 300 miles!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
on another note about leaking valve seals...i don't know how dirty your engine is but if you have a lot of crud on the head when you take off the valve cover then another thing you can try is to make sure and clean all the crud off and to make sure the oil return holes are free of anything....they do get crud and this will keep oil up around your valves on top of the head and this can cause your valve seal leak too..also look to see which valve seals you have.....the oring seal chevy used was not one of the best..the umbrella seal was a better one...i use the oring type along with the umbrella type over the oring....i never have any problems...hope this helps.

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
well,i look everytime i start it and theres no smoke on startup.. My pipes run where i can see them and theres  nothing..Thats why im baffled,that much oil consumption would have to be putting out smoke! crazy stuff..

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
Yeah I thought the same thing but nope.

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
The first is #7,and the other is how all other 7 look.Notice how one side of porcelin is darker? Like they are burning oil??Ive never seen plugs like this..

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
Heres the second pic..

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
also,ya notice the oil on the threads? Myvalve covers dont leak at all either...

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »
Yup they look like mine if I dint leave them in a while longer.

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »
What vortec intake gaskets did you use ?? More than a couple of times I've seen cheaper gaskets leak vacuum and pull oil out .

That last one I dealt with was a young friend that was having Idle troubles and oil disappearing  . He used a set of Fel pro intake gaskets Part Number: MS98000T . Fully cured both problems . Not sure that's your problem but if I was betting .....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:40:27 PM by Powerdriver1958 »
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 03:19:55 AM »
 if your plugs where tight then the oil would of had to compress the air in the threads for the oil to travel up the treads. and if oil was able to pass threw the threads of a plug then air can also. then if there was this much oil getting by the plug it would blow out. again this is just my opinion. but how do you explain the oil on the non fouled plug. it maybe just me also but i dont think your plugs where tight enough. if you noticed the pictures i posted the compression washers are crushed and yours still have the round shape at least thats how i see it. now from what i seen on oil soaked plugs it would be all gummed up black not a brown color which is from a miss fire. something else about your pictures. the fouled plug only the first thread has carbon on it while your non fouled plug has 3 threads with carbon this points to the fouled plug not getting hot enough. im not a spark plug annalist but this is some of the things i learned, could be bad plug or wire or connection that causes a plug not getting hot enough

normal

carbon build up

oil build up

also this picture i posted about spark plug temp this is from ngk

now with these pictures you dont know how the valve cover gasket was, or how many times they changed the plugs with leaky valve covers. but if you noticed your oil had a nice color to it, if it went threw the combustion chamber it would be burnt. something to try is a compression test, this would tell you what problem you can have.
but i understand you know your valve covers arnt leaking but read this
http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/technical-information/spark-plug-analysis
i have been known to be wrong a time or two or three but. till someone tells me im wrong how will i know
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »
hey Irish,i looked and thought that also.But i tighten the snot out of em,the washer never gets crushed..Theyre the right plugs for this engine and head so idk?? Think im gonna try and change seals here soon,this engine did set for along time come to think of it..Maybe the rubber seals were dried out or maybe with this spring,lifter combo is letting them get crushed?I opted for the ls6 beehive springs-comp lifter set so i could run a higher lift cam with thse vortech heads without machining the spring pockets..Ive never set up the geometery on a head so i need to check on that too and see if he did them correctly..thanks for all the help!