Author Topic: 06 impala engine into 84 truck??  (Read 2372 times)

Offline shortchevy84

06 impala engine into 84 truck??
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
i've been looking to replace the old carbuerated 350 in my 84 shortbox sierra. i would like 300hp, over 25mpg at least on highway, and be able to run on 87 octane. the 06 impala engine jumps out at me with 303hp, 28mpg hwy, however i'm not sure of the fuel rating. is there any other options i can achieve this from. supercharging is definitely in the works if it can provide the results i'm after. i've considered a crate LS1, but its compression is just too high. i need this to be a daily driver,(so no radical cams) that can offer all the amenities of a modern vehicle.(a/c and power steering) i will obviously need new computer,wiring and all that for the new set up. also, it would need to mate up to my 700r4 rebuilt transmission.  i would much prefer to stick with v8, because i love the rumble it makes now...don't we all. thank you for any input and suggestions!

andrew

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: 06 impala engine into 84 truck??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
Any LS based motor for a truck (4.8L, 5.3L 6.0L) will work.  You can usually find them in salvage yards and such.  I am putting a 6.0L in my 73-87chevytrucks.com pickup.  It is in the main forum with progress posts.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:00 AM »
i don't know if you've commenced on this project or not;  If you have, great.  Maybe you can give us some updates.

If not:
Wanting 300HP, 25mpg, 87octane AND in a full size pickup is a very tall order.  Not impossible, but difficult.  If you have said 300hp, 20mpg, then it would be pretty easy.

A good exhaust system is a must.  Headers will probably be a must.  Where do you live?  Do you have emmissions testing?

You didn't say anything  gear ratios, so go with a 2.41 if possible.  If too impractical, then go with the largest diameter tires that will fit(and some pretty large ones will fit).

Believe or not, i would start with the truck itself:
We all (hopefully) know that driving with the tailgate down doesn't help, in fact hinders, gas mileage.  Slowing down helps too, but with your desire for 300hp i don't think that's an option for you.  No offense intended.

Is the truck lowered?  As much as i dislike lowered trucks, i admit that they do get better mileage all other things being equal.  A lowered vehicle achieves better aerodynamic Cd.

This project is not impossible.  Give me a few days to think about.

In the meantime, be thinking about Independant runner systems and weber carbs.  This may be your solution.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »
Stewart, if you are talking about me, mine is being documented on this forum here:
p210.ezboard.com/f7387che...2395.topic

LS motors don't like high gears, 3.42 is the best for mileage.  Getting 25mpg out of a LS motor in one of our truck should be simple.  

I have a friend with a 73-87 with a Vette motor (345hp) and 700R4 getting 25mpg on the highway.  

The 2000 model my brother has gets 23mpg on the highway regularly at 70mpg and it is turbocharged.  

My daily driver '87 305TBI/700R4 gets 21.8mpg with 100k+ on the odo.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project