Author Topic: Back to normal  (Read 4759 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
Back to normal
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »
I think the wreck is finally behind me, I can walk right, have been promoted, and got my replacement for the wrecked car, a 2018 impala premier I added Detroit wheel and tire chrome wheels to.  Truck didn't need much so it got new shoes (it's the constant just works is always there vehicle) , and the camaro got new rims, tires and a 7" touchscreen alpine.

Glad to be back to normal.  and if I raise my eyebrows real high it mostly hides the scar on my forehead...lol  Wasn't funny then, has funny bits now.  coulda been worse.  anyway, I'm back on track.

Been working on the house lately, as it had almost a year of total neglect. 

Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Back to normal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »
Glad to have you back... I've been missing seeing your posts.  Life events tend to de-rail things, glad you made it.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
Thanks!  Glad to be here!

Hopefully i'll have some stuff to do to the truck before too long.  I've got a small parts pile building up for it. 

It hasn't gotten too much in the last couple of years.  When the camaro died on me, I was down to just having the truck again  (as usual, it just works) 

Now I'm back up to having extra vehicles, I can do some stuff to it and it won't matter if its down for a while.  It's still running good, but it finally got a rear main seal leak so I don't drive it as much as I used to, plus i essentially have two new cars to ride in so I'm enjoying them.  Camaro's had a lot done to it, its pretty much new mechanically and interior wise, got the new impala for my daily finally.

First small project will be adding XM radio to it.  It's just plug and play with the current radio, just have to find a good hidden spot for the antenna.  I got XM in the new car, and liked it a lot, so I put it in the camaro when it got a double din touch screen Alpine ILX-207 and a custom enclosure 10" sub.  Only thing left to do to the Camaro is build a good rear end for it, all else is brand new.  new trans, new blueprint engine, brakes, suspension, all the little NOS things for the interior and such, and the new wheels and tires.  Got the impala setup like i want it except for a sub.

Once I get it all set, my extra time can go into the truck.  It needs an engine/trans/efi  (still work good, just worn out),   and thats about all.  I bought some little things for it like new dash vents and I got the new Sanden AC comp installed and the hornblasters air horns.  bought a scratch n dent same size as the rest wheel off of ebay for it and kept one of the old tires so i now have a spare.  found a nice fitting dash cover for it to keep the dash nice since i was daily driving it again for almost a year.  got some march underdrive pulleys for it to fix a few odd problems i was having.  got custom tags on the camaro and impala, will be getting one soon for the truck.  will probably be going back to a stock silverado steering wheel soon (love the grant steering wheel but the horn button is crap).  also looking into getting some new power seats for it.  I found a set I like out of a newer explorer, I may just try it.

Got my first rust hole the trucks ever had.  a pinhole in the drivers door, I think the dynomat overlapped and water got trapped in there  >:(, but its not noticable, i'll get it fixed and paint matched.  the guy who painted the truck is amazing with paint matching, i got to watch him do a couple of cars.

We'll see, but good to be back, I'ma make an effort to be on here more, as I miss doing truck stuff.  I wanna get back to it.

Kenny

Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:41:57 AM »
Welcome back, Kenny.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline fitz

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 03:56:56 AM »
Welcome back.
Looking forward to seeing you do a write up when You add EFI to the truck.
As for the camaro rear end, have you looked into some of the bolt in unit's that are available?

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Welcome back.
Looking forward to seeing you do a write up when You add EFI to the truck.
As for the camaro rear end, have you looked into some of the bolt in unit's that are available?

I'm looking real hard at a ford 8.8 hawks motorsports has.  looks like the ticket.  It's the last thing to do and the cars basically brand new except for the paint.  Interior redone except the carpet, new blueprint engine, new trans, efi connection injectors (stock), edelbrock heads, upgraded headlights, good stereo, 200A Alternator, new rims n tires.  It's all set.  Spent more than i should have on it, but such is life, it makes me happy.  Paints good, no failures, just nicks n such.  it's a solid 20 footer.  I don't wanna paint it though to where i have to be picky about it.  I don't need it and can't justify it "cept i wawnt it", that cars just for fun.  So I'm going to enjoy it and not be too picky on it.  doesn't need to be super practical, but i may road trip it.  now with its 2.73 rear it gets about 23MPG cruise control 75mph.  I'm thinking a 3.42 rear.  I like the sound of 3.73 (who doesn't)  but it has a thimble for a gas tank for a V8 (15 gal)  so I dunno.  it's up in the air the ratio, I'll just pick something and buy it.  it'll be 3.42-3.73.

On the write up comment, I have a question, Since Photobucket broke the internet, what do you guys use to host pics?  Are you paying?  if so how much.  I woulda done a write up on the horns/air system and one on the new AC setup, but I didn't know which way to go on photo hosting.  It's all changed a lot since last time I used one, and I'm leary to put in the work on them like i did photobucket and then lose all that work.  At the time photobucket broke the internet, I couldn't pay what they wanted to host my pics, now i suppose i could, but I want whichever company is the best.  Any ideas welcome.

I may still do write up on them, as I have good info, as buying an OE style pump cost $250 more than the Sanden unit I retrofitted.   I bought a bigger sanden unit then needed since my truck is low speed everything.  it works well, gets colder than either other car, and works with the underdrive pulleys I bought for the purpose of making the AC not drag down the idle so much on a carb.  PS still works well, you can tell its a little less strong at a stop but not bad, and the ALT still powers it good at idle (I fitted a CS-144 to it off the camaro while it was down)  it's all about ratios.  If there's interest I think I have enough pics to do a write up on the train horns/air system and the AC setup.  I've upgraded the stereo (just a newer head unit)  but I have a Sirius XM Radio to add to it.  I'll do a write up on where to mount the antenna and my results.

For example, when I mounted the XM and GPS antenna for the radio in the camaro, (look up a 97 camaro dash pad)  I was able to mount them both under the dash pad, yet exposed to the air above, without blocking the airflow.  they work as well as the XM n GPS in my 18 impala, and they cut out in the same places its oem system does.  I think I'm going to go for installing it below the dash pad surface level in one of the defroster vents.  We'll see.
Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Everythings kinda on hold for a few weeks for this...

My pump house collapsed, now I have to rebuild it, it had a leak so the grounds very muddy.  it's gotta dry out for a few weeks before I can pour a new pad and build the new pump house. 
Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 11:19:45 PM »
This was my last small project.  I needed a place to put my stuff.  Not the normal daily hand tools, but everything else.  Some of it is power tools, an entire table saw parts section, and PARTS.

The blue box on the end is my daily box with wrenches, screwdrivers, etc in it.  I got it so i can roll it to where I need it.  the black boxes are for everything else.

Other pics are my workbench/PC/Fridge.  And Local Shop Rates and Policies.  ;D

Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:10 PM »
Those pics reminded me, Need to do a write up on the garage lights, Garage door opener lighting upgrade and setting up wall outlet layout.  Put your wall outlets at 42" to the top of the outlet box.  have an outlet every 6 feet.  At this height, no matter where you put a bench or toolbox, it can't cover them up, actually they will be at the right height to use there.
Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »
pics of some of the upgrades so far.  This is the Horn/Air system.

Not a welder, so the horn brackets are all ALuminum L bent and bolted together, but very effective.  Mounted all 4 horns on the inner fender.
2nd Pic is the manifold I put on the drivers inner fender, Has connections from pump to tank mounted under the bed behind the gas tank and has a gauge and place to attatch an air hose for side of the road emergencies.

3rd pic is my modified stock cluster with an air brake gauge from a C60 mounted to it.  it has dual needled, but I only use one.  it looks stock, only real chevy truck guys ask about it.  I repainted all the gauge needled at the same time is why they match so well, except the font and icon on the air gauge.  I have a 80's-up gauge.  couldn't find a 79-back one.
Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »
I had to redo the black striping on the side trim, as it was cracking and peeling off.  I coupled the fact I'm lazy with the fact I'm now scared of not being seen in the dark with 3M's new reflective tape that actually looks black in noon light, and I got these pics.  I like it, And I like being seen even more.

3rd pic is the new head unit I'm gonna add the XM to

4th pic is the new tires, which thanks to VILE I got balanced properly.

5th pic is of the supplies for the new pump house and garage bays for the mowers/golf cart/ outdoor tools.

Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »
Most painful thing happened in the last year n a half was I had to pay a shop to put the engine/trans in the camaro.  never did that before.  Oh well, I'm not physically capable of doing it yet and I don't want it to take 3 years.  It's done, but boy did it cost.

But here's where I am now.

Interior done first 3 pics

4th is custom boot screen i made for the stereo out of bit n pieces downloaded from the net.

5th is my tag i got for it  ;D

6th is the white letters after its first carwash.  The other half of the letters got wrecked, only the BFG part is left after i peeled off the othher pieces.  after the next car wash i may be back to black walls.  eh it still has good wheels...lol

I bought the tredwear letters where you send them a rubbing.  they looked good, LOTS of work to install.  These didnt work out, I think mainly because the letters on the tires weren't flat, they had a rim and sunk down in the center, I think if they were flat/smooth letters they would have worked better.  I don't blame Tredwear.  They were great when i called them for this n that.  I still recommend them on the condition you are sticking these to a smooth surface.

Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
The New Impala.  Had lots of upgrades within a month of owning it.  Got it a custom tag too.

The Camaro is "LT1 Z"  Impala is "CJN 2LZ"  The camaro is obvious, the Impala means "Cajun Red Tintcoat - 2LZ"  Or Red Premier.

2nd pic is of the umbrella holders in the door panels.  Silly I know But I think it's neat.

3-4th interior pics  I bought some lloyd's mats impala mats for it since nowhere in the interior was there the word impala or any impala emblem.  Those lloyds mats are NICE.  I highly recommend them, and they fit perfectly with the built in mat tie downs.  beautiful product.

Last pic is of the chrome trim on the dash lighting up in a blue glow at night.  it dims with the instrument panel lights.

This is now my favorite car.  The last one was nice, This one is MINE.  Red on Black.  my two fav colors.

Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:01:42 AM »
Before yall say anything, I don't care about the Tags showing up.  Trust me, I can't hide anyway.

Well the one I think next I'm gonna get for the truck will read "Z62 C20"

That will trip people out, cept real chevy truck guys.

Z62?  Whut?

If you know what that means then you know my shame...  It's a scottsdale, but when I restored it, you couldn't get scottsdale 20 badges, only silverado, so i went with it...   :P  I don't like it now, but i'm not driving something with no badges while i wait for 10 years...
Kenny

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »
Was Looking through my pics of "All My Cars Together"

There's one constant in them all.  My Truck.  I love my truck.  I almost sold it last year.  Guy at work Offered a good bit more than I would demand for it.  I almost did it, But I figured (maybe stupidly, but I'm ok with it) NO.  Whatever cars come and go here, I will have that truck.  It's been the ONE vehicle, no matter what happened, it was good to go, and just works.  Maybe accessories fail at times, but whatever, that truck will get you from where you are to where you need to go any time, any temp, any distance.  I can't ever get rid of it, except maybe for totally stupid money... ;D

I'm gonna hold on to it, it goes with the house.  It helped build the house.  I grew up fishing with grandad in it, went on cross country trips in it with airstream in tow.  Now I know, whatever happens, That truck will be here.  if I ever get rid of it, you know my life is screwed.

I love that old truck, and all the friends that share in that love of those old trucks.

Thanks for being such a great Site, guys.  I truly appreciate it.  This is the only car/truck forum I've been on that hasn't gone downhill, or lets people be uncivil as normal.

Great site Chris.  I May wander away for a bit, But I'll always be back here for a good site to chill on.

Some pics I found today...  my various "fleets"  Can you see the constant?

in order

...next one will have truck in it too...

Kenny