Author Topic: Ground up 86 4x4  (Read 157161 times)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: Ground up 86 4x4
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:40 AM »
We decided to move forward and do some of the bodywork ourselves to keep some progress going.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
It's been a long time since I updated this project. It got put on hold again for another year but now I got it in the garage and some work has been done.

This is where I decided to start.

Cutting it up and looking for a stopping point.

Digging at a previous cab corner repair.

New inner rocker.

Floor cut to fit.

I got more comming...

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline big bear

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 01:38:20 PM »
great progress

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
Here's some more pics.

New inner cab corner and outer cab corner on.

Drivers side almost ready for paint. All the metal work is done.

Passengers side is getting some new metal too.

Traded a transmission for some new steellies

Then I brought this home changing my mind about the stepside I have been wanting for years.

Last night I got some friends around (and I bought the beer of course) and took the bed out of my mazda and set it on the 86. We had a good time working on the beer, staring at the truck, telling lies...It was a good garage night.

I always liked seeing trucks in the garage from this angle.

Offline big bear

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »
that is a sweet pic

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks big bear.

Offline big bear

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
no prob man... i am digging the gas pump sitting in the front.  i always have liked that . so, what exact lift do you have on the truck ?  i read back through the build and i dont think you said.  if you did, my bad haha

Offline WilliamBos

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
Nice job thirsty.  Threads like this make me miss my 82&86 more and more each day.

Keep up the great work.  :)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
@ WilliamBos. I miss my 86 too. haha. It's taken way to long for this to get done.

@ big bear That gas pump is one of my favorite things. My dad and grandfather had an Amoco station so when I got the pump I did it up Amoco. It's not correct being black but I like it that way.
The truck has a 4" lift with add-a-leafs in the rear and 33" tires. No body lift. That's as high as I can go and still get it in the garage. I like a slight rake on lifted trucks that's why the back looks so high for a 4" lift. I know most people don't like the raked look but I always thought these trucks looked like they sag in the back when they get older.

Offline big bear

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
nice little history behind the pump.  i love that stuff.  i think it looks sweet black.  and thanks for the info man.   has a great stance

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
that looks way higher than 4/33s

Offline daytonagp4

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Nice job!!! Keep it up! It always made me happy to see it with the body on. It's like you can step back and finally look and see that your making progress!!!

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
Looking good...
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Nice job!!! Keep it up! It always made me happy to see it with the body on. It's like you can step back and finally look and see that your making progress!!!

I just put the body on because I haven't seen it as a fleetside since 2002 and it made a great conversation piece while we were throwing some cold ones back that night. I did step back and see a light at the end of the tunnel though with a rear body on it.

I have to take it back off and finish the metal work on the passengers side of the cab. When that is done I will be taking the cab off, sealing the underneath back up, painting the bottom, doing some minor firewall repairs, painting the firewall, then the cab will go back on and I'll finish the body work.

My short term goal is to get the underneath of the cab dealt with, the interior painted, wiring pedals etc so I can start it and move it under it's own power instead of push it.

@ beastie_3 That's the truth 4"/33's/with an add-a-leaf.

And to everybody thanks for the comments. It feels good to finally be able to post something about this truck again.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
I got some of the passenger's side metal work done.

The only rust I had to deal with on the passenger's side floor was right at the floor supports. It looked pretty nasty but it was only at the plate that joins the supports together. Once I got the floor cut away there was nothing left of the plate but the supports were good. I got the supports all sandblasted.

Then painted them with SEM Rust Sheild

Made a new plate

Finished cutting the floor to fit my new patch

Took the cab corner off from a previous repair that someone made

Luckily the rust stopped just above where I cut the cab corner off and my new cab corner was larger than the one I took off. The bottom of the inner cab corner and some of the rocker panel was no good.

New inner cab corner.

Since I took these pictures I got the floor patch welded in, a piece of the rocker panel in the rear welded in, painted everything that is under the cab corner, and the cab corner is tacked in place.