Author Topic: How many people prefer to use Paypal?  (Read 34491 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
How many people prefer to use Paypal?
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »
I am thinking about no longer accepting paypal for payment on items in the store.  I want some feedback.  What do you guys think?  If there is sufficient response I will just keep it.

Offline hotrod24

Re: How many people prefer to use Paypal?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:42:56 PM »
chris i have never used paypal so it is fine with me i allways use a money order  ;)
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline Givengold

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
Chris,
         I'd rather see their fees go into your pocket.  I have a similar situation with Amex.  We pi..ed of enough people years ago when we did not accept it.  Now I smile and take their card, but it does cost us more.
Dan

Offline buddy84GMC

• My Sites on Cardomain
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »
Don't you have to deal with that stupid charge for using PayPal?  Like 3% or something?  I bought a roller cam for my Lincoln from a guy in AZ and I used paypal but he added the charge on top of that.  Just seems stupid to me.  When I sell stuff I use money orders.  
1984 GMC K1500 8" lift, 39" MT Baja Belted tires, 400 small block
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 L33 5.3L Special Edition
1967 Lincoln Continental Coupe Hot Rod, 462 big block

Offline frogman68

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
I love paypal :) when I think of something in the middle of the night I dont need to go find my wallet :)

It is great for Ebay I have used it here when I didnt feel like going to get my wallet

Offline Just-speed

• 84K10 350/700r4
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
I understand the cost!  I use it daily.  But it does not cost you a dime unless someone uses it to pay you. Otherwise it costs you nothing so why consider closeing it?    Its an Option in the least.    If that is the only way someone will pay why turn them away.

Keep it.  Options are what people want. 
Let GM go belly up! I got what I wanted. Thanks for building the best truck ever.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »
Dan, you know exactly what I am talking about then.  Their fees are about 3%, but there are so few people that use it.  I haven't decided, I am just thinking.

I will NEVER take AMEX though, so you are a better man than I am.  My merchant account got screwed up once after I took over and allowed it and I probably lost $200 over the course of a month and I couldn't figure out where it was going...  UNTIL AMEX sent me my "new" monthly statement.

I used to not take Discover, but I do now since there is enough people using it and I take a enough hit with them.  "use the card that pays you back" in only good when you are buying.  hehehe.

buddy84GMC, yes I do have to deal with that.  One big ticket items like the One Piece Group Buy where I dropped the price drastically had the 3% cutting my profit enough that I refused to accept it.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Just-speed.  True point.  Thanks!  It is just the accounting of the whole issue.  I guess I am just hoping to simplify..

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »
I'd rather send a US Postal Money order when I buy stuff.
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline blink32

• New Users
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
I voted that I use PayPal but You have to roll with the times.  If the volume isn't there to justify the costs, either monetary or manpower, then it only makes sense to cut it.  I use the heck out of paypal when proprietary instant payment systems aren't offered by the seller but only in the way that it most benefits me.  Few to no direct transfers from my bank account, all charges to my CC.  There are too many horror stories of problems with both sellers and joe-blow-sellin-a-part when you pay via paypal and use direct debit from a checking account.

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:36 PM »
I stopped dealing with paypal and Ebay after all the scams starting surfacing. I was getting 'scam mail' from (supposedly) both ebay and paypal asking for personal information, 'urgent reply immediately' and 'a problem with your account' messages. After making some phone calls I was told nothing was wrong with my accounts and they were not real emails and not to reply to them.
Anyway, I closed my accounts and I use a secure card that I'm comfortable with for anything questionable.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
I like Paypal for shopping on Ebay. Makes me feel safer doing so. For this site though, I would trust Chris with my credit card info so I would bypass Paypal and their bloated fee AND exchange rates and just email Chris with my credit card number direct.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline topside

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
I take PayPal in my racecar tool business, which seems to make it easier for the Customers. PayPal's a bit of a pain to communicate with, the 3% doesn't exactly warm my heart, and like eBay they can do whatever they want when they want to do it, though I haven't seen as much goofy stuff; eBay likes to mess with their Sellers.
A friend of mine adds the 3% as a surcharge when the Buyer uses PayPal, with about 50/50 results as far as his Customers getting ticked off about it.
When I'm buying parts, I rarely have the time for Money Orders or Cashier's Checks, so I usually use my credit card or PayPal. Taking credit cards is a whole other bunch of stuff & % to deal with, so I don't take credit cards yet.
Good luck with whatever you decide; it's not easy running a business in a competitive market!

Offline oldyeller

• 81 Chevy 3/4 ton
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:06:30 PM »
I know Kelly wants to start buying some stuff from you for the trucks in the near future.  I personally like Paypal for places such as ebay, but as long as you still accept credit/debit cards, I don't see a real need for paypal.  We usually pay for everything with our debit card because we have a great rewards program with our debit card, and it is so much simpler than trying to pay the credit card bills at the end of the month.  If we don't have the money, then we don't need it.  

Paypal is a safer way to pay on ebay because they protect your purchases, but we don't need that kind of protection from this site.  
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton (aka yeller)
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab lifted with flames
1950 Dodge Wayfarer all original
1951 Chevy truck
6 extended cab square bodies
Just to name a few

Offline scubasteve65

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
***IMPORTANT***Wait till someone reverses charges on you! I was unaware Paypal can do this. Here's my scenario. I sold an item on eBay. Buyer pays me with Paypal. I ship the item. Her account was overdrawn so paypal subtracts the payment and freezes my account. Basically she paid me via paypal with a bad check - and didn't have a credit cardbacking up her account. Because paypal subtracted her payment from my account I went into negative dollars. I owed people money for things that I purchased on eBay and had to ask them (nicely) for over a week to wait for payment until this person got their act together.
I agree paypal is convenient and I'll continue to use them in some "very limited" capacity.