Author Topic: How many people prefer to use Paypal?  (Read 34493 times)

Offline fasteddie59

• New Users
Re: How many people prefer to use Paypal?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
In my opinion I like it because it gives you protection from unscrupulous sellers, I've ran across several on E Bay and other sites, that I would have lost my payment for an item or the item received was not even close to what was represented and if it was not for PayPal I would have been out of luck. I'm not grouping you into this category, but I know if other buyers that are doing business with you for the first time and have had similar experiences, they may feel the same way, and I don't like to send  a money order or give my credit/checkcard number to someone I've never done business with before, they're a long distance from you and nothing to stop them from taking the funds and giving you the old it's on it's way, check in the mail routine, and getting your funds back would be a nightmare if not impossible. I would recommend still accepting it with pricing adjusted to offset the fees if that is how they prefer to pay, Fast Eddie 59

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »
I use it on fleebay and a few other places,but I would rather just use my cc and skip the 3% fee to help keep prices down.
I would understand if you added the 3% on to a paypal purchase.
So I am good with whatever you decide to do.
1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
I prefer PayPal and this is why...

It's because I think PayPal is the best thing since sliced bread...er...maybe since a broadband connection.  My Dad has written a couple of books and we sell A LOT of them online via the small website I built (my first ever, which I just realized I need to update a little):  www.porchtales.com  Actually, for a self-published book we have done extremely well -- we just did our 6th printing of 1000 books (meaning we have already sold just under 5000 of 'em) -- most people who self-publish a book do good to get rid of 10 or 20 to family and friends.

We sell the books for $14.50 (or so) and PayPal charges us so little per book it's not even a good tax write-off.  They also keep track of whether the purchase is made from your home state or out of state (which only matters for tax purposes).  People who order from TN are charged the extra amount while people outside of TN are not charged the fee -- and it's automatic. 

I'm sure PayPal isn't perfect and undoubtedly people have had some bad personal experiences here and there, but overall they were 100% exactly what we needed for our products.  I can see absolutely no down-side.

At any rate, I'm all about supporting Paypal simply because they make it possible (and so extremely simple) for small business owners to accept credit cards (with or without a PayPal account -- which is really important!!), have shopping carts, etc. 

~GoatBeard  ; ) >
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:57:51 PM by GoatBeard »

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »
I have used paypal for a long time, but as a seller on e-bay it does have its quirks.

Chris, as long as you take Visa or Master Card I wil be good to go when I get my list of parts together :)
81 Scottsdale K10 "Under construction"

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
My biggest issue with this is all the scams I have been the end of.
I had a customer that had never bought from me purchase door panels, kick panels and dash overlay and paid with paypal. I called the customer and left a message to verify the year of truck (door panels and guage overlay didn't match) called the 3rd day and still no answer so I left another voicemail.  I shipped it 3 days later and 4 days later Paypal reversed the charges and it clears and emails me on the 5 day that they were reversed.  I called and they stated that the person who made the purchase "stole" the money from another user and the user found out reported it and paypal put the money back in their account, by removing it from mine.  I told them that they had ordered items and where shipped the day prior and I have no money and no one was answering the phone.  Needless to say I caught all but 1 item the overlay and got them others to stop shippment.  But I was still out the overlay cost and paypal did nothing for about it.

Now immediately I call all people that I don't know or seen before that pay with paypal to let them know there would be a delay until it clears, unless I know them.  If they don't answer I leave a message indicating their order will be canceled and paypal refunded if I don't hear from them in 24 hours.

The fees aren't what the issue is.  As far as I am concerned 2 people were running a scam on paypal and paypal backed them up as paypal stated the original customer took money that wasn't theirs from someone elses account.

I had this happen again (the refunding part on behalf of paypal, not the shipped to customer and lost parts) and I had waited long enough for it to clear and it was pulled the day after.  Paypal only protects the buyer and these people were exploiting it.

On top of the above, I had called other customers telling them there would be a delay until payment had cleared and they went nuts.  Think is, Credit cards are cleared immediately in comparison.  I have had the same issue before and customers using cards, but the card company paid for the delivered items when I had proof of delivery.

Offline ssgmmuscle

• New Users
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
paypal SUCKS,,im in the middle of a claim,,and as soon as its finished im FIRING THEM!!
 they dont back ther word and are quick to send to collections,,

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
The way our site works people can use any credit card (no PayPal account required) to make the purchase.  Most people don't actually use PayPal -- they use their cards and skip the PayPal part so the transfer is instant.  I wonder if you can set up PayPal just to accept credit cards and credit cards only?  Basically just use PayPal to use the credit acceptance and ordering features -- I doubt it's possible to shut out PayPal users, but who knows.  Does that make sense? 

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
Chris, when the time comes i'm ordering my parts from you whichever way is available. I've never used Paypal so i'd vote against it but, if I had to use it I would.

Rob
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
Do you have a link to their policy stating that they can charge you back even after an item is shipped?

Paypal is super convenient and most people use it online. I love it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »
I do not like it. We had a charge for about $2000 for some stuff off of fle-bay that was supposed to go to Pakistan. Fortunatly our credit union is on top of things and we got our money back before any thing bad happened. I dont like them at all, and the security is false security. I know several people who have had issues. My mom shipped some stuff from her website to a customer. The customer signed for the package, then claimed he didnt get them. He then reversed charges on her, and paypal removed the money from her account even though she had delivery comformation. Be cautious with Paypal.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 05:55:01 PM »
After skimming through articles like this click I'd be careful on any crazy transactions where there might be shipping or overseas issues. Make sure they have a verified address and arrangements are previously made.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside

PayPal User Agreement

This User Agreement ("Agreement") is a contract between you and PayPal and applies to your use of PayPal's Services. You must read, agree with and accept all of the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement. In addition, you must read, agree with and accept any applicable agreements on the Legal Agreements page.

We may amend this Agreement at any time by posting a revised version on our website. The revised version will be effective at the time we post it. In addition, if the revised version includes a Substantial Change, we will provide you with 30 Days' prior notice of Substantial Change by posting notice on the "Policy Updates" page of our website. We last modified this Agreement on November 10, 2008.

This is an important document which you must consider carefully when choosing whether to use the Services at any time. This Agreement also highlights certain risks on using the Services.
Please note the following risks of using the PayPal service:

Payments received in your PayPal account may be reversed at a later time (in some instances up to 180 Days following the time of receiving the payment) if such a payment is subject to a Chargeback, Reversal, Claim or otherwise invalidated. This means that for some of our sellers, payments received into their Account may be returned to the sender or otherwise removed from their Account after they have been paid and/or delivered any goods sold.

You can help protect yourself from the risk of your payment being removed from your Account by following the criteria set out in the Protection for Sellers section and by following the other guidance provided in the "Security Center" accessible via every page of the PayPal website.
    * We may close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account or our Services, and/or limit access to your funds for up to 180 Days if you engage in any Restricted Activities (as further set out in section 9).

You must consider such risks and guidance when using PayPal.

Offline Rick01

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
I sometimes use it on eBay when I'm concerned about the seller, but other than that I don't use it. Save yourself some fees.

Offline The $6 Man

• New Users
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »
Paypal is convenient, but they did screw over once and have always had a chip on my shoulder since.  As long as you still take credit cards then it's no biggie to get rid of paypal.  I hope to order some parts from ya once I get my tax refund!!

KY

Offline kfoz

• Registered Users
  • ALWAYS BUILD WITH BRICK & STONE ! ! !
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 07:06:22 PM »
EBAY NOW OWNS paypal!!!   It's just another monopoly! GREED! That's what it's all about, GREED. Use money orders people!  It's getting where Ebay will only let you use paypal! When you buy, it's ok I guess. When you sell, you pay PAYPAL even more! PLUS your EBAY FEES & COMMISSION!
kfoz (kfoz@comcast.net)
'73 C20 4 Speed 2WD