Author Topic: Need power window help  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Psyco Diver 69

Need power window help
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
I have a 84 GMC and the power windows down work, the drivers side supposly had a new motor in it when I bought it but the window is stuck down a inch and the harness was broke, so I went to the junk yard and grabbed another one and wired it in, now I just get a clicking noise. I have it wired from left to right like this Blue/white, Tan (also has the rod through it), Blue, Brown, Pink, and Black. I broke out my test white and hooked onto the ground and got the pink is a siwtch 12v, brown and blue only light up when I hit the drivers window switch, tan sparks up, and blue/white lights up when I hit the passenger switch. Why does the tan one with the copper rod going through it spark up like its shorting out?

Offline Psyco Diver 69

Re: Need power window help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Alright well after some smacking and what not the window will go up but only half way down, I did this a few times, then it stopped half way down, and I can't get it back up, the motor will make that ticking noise again except it will click once and not make any noise for a minute then go back to clicking. BTW the motor sounded loud and crappy as heck, its suppose to be a new motor and looks like it

Offline Psyco Diver 69

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
to tell the truth the motor is getting pretty hot, oh and I just did try jumping the motor with a extra battery, still just clicking

How the heck do I get my window up now, its suppose to rain later

Offline Psyco Diver 69

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
alright I found out if I push down on the window as hard as I can it will move, theres about 2 inches of free play in the window, meaning I can pull it up or push it down 2 inches. Does that mean I regulator is shot?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »
Definitely check the regulator, tracks, seals and adjustements.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:10:35 AM »
i would agree with vile but it seams to sound like the regulator, on my truck when the regulator went bad you at first could assist the window into doing what you wanted it to do then it would just start clicking like it stripped a gear, replaced it and fixed the problem. while you have it all apart i would think about replacing the motor also since you and the PO prob. put it under a lot of stress and over heated it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline musicitymafia

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:22:47 AM »
Check your channel seals and make sure nothing has broken off and is putting the window in a bind.  If the channels are good you would be better off replacing the regualtor and the motor all at the same time since both need to come out anyway.  Sounds like the motor is damaged now because of the stress.
1985 Chevy Silverado SWB 305
MPS LEAD THE WAY

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »