Author Topic: Front Windshield removal/installation.  (Read 31460 times)

spanner

Front Windshield removal/installation.
« on: January 29, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
Is windshield replacement a D.Y.I. job? My 1986 K-10 windshield just got a crack in it, and I was hoping to find one in the bone yard and put it in myself. What are the steps and do I need any special tools?
                       Thanks in advance
                        Spanner

Edited by: roundedline at: 2/14/06 6:44 pm

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> Windshield
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
I guess nearly anything could eventually be a DIY job, however, if you know someone in the business, that would be advisable.  They have those suction cup handles.  Once you put the seal down, you have one chance to get the windshield in place.  You need two people to do this.

I would just shop around.  I went to a glass shop and told them my insurance doesnt cover windshields, they told me if the seal is good, they'd put a new windshield in for $158.00...i said go for it. If they know you're paying cash, they come way off the price they charge insurance companies.

Another possiblity, tell a shop you have your own new glass and see how much for 20  minutes labor to get that puppy in.  

SgtDel

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Windshield
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
Windsheild in a rubber gasket is easy. You might want to get a nylon bar any glass shop will sell them, or a paint stir stick works O.K. but not as good. Pull the zipper out all the way around, then push the glass out, The gasket wil most likely fall out or try to come with the glass no big deal. One old is out, clean any galls chips, dirt, etc. form the gasket. Re install the gasket onto the cab pinch weld. Clean the edgees of the glass good too.Take your glass and set it in the channel on the bottm edge.Tow people isgood but not a must. Lay the glass back against the gasket, then use the nylon bar to work it down into the channel. Liquid car soap works good as a lubricant. Don't use dish soap as it can harm automotive paint. Spray silicone works good too but is hard to clean up. One glass is in you can work the zipper back in with the nylon bar or scew driver, but there is as tool made for this. If it breaks a 15 dollar bill I would be suprised.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Hey Blazin,does that work the same for the back glass? I gotta do both soon. Thanks

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
Some back glass has the zipper others don't. If it dosn't take a peice of high quality braided rope that will fit inside the chanel that grabs the pinch weld. Fit the gasket onto the glass, stuff the rope into the chanel leaving the ends hanging out at the midle bottm, I useually tape the ends to the glass, have a budy hold the glass and gasket up against the hole setting the bottom chanel over the pinch weld as best you can with the rope in there too, then pull the gasket in over the pinch weld with the rope. The guy outside needs to apply presure all along at the same point the rope is pulling the gasket in. The bottom corners are a pain.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline scott dale

glass
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
I would buy a new rubber gasket & lock strip from G.M. regardless what old one looks like, You will need 2 tools: one is a curved metal end tool (I dont know name of it but should be easy find) and a tool for the lockstrip.

FYI Glass installers hate this particular job more than any windshield install because they are hardest. Some cant even do the job as I found out.

Offline scott dale

tool
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »
The metal tool is to pull gasket back while working the glass in.

Offline 78rustbucket

Re: tool
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
ive changed my own windsheilds a few times and its just as blazin describes. it really isnt as hard as youd think once you've done it. getting the old windsheild out and putting new one in is easy, its the lock zipper that takes a little patience.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
I know several glass guys and one glass girl, they all say the C K serries trucks are the simplest ones to do.  

Offline scott dale

?
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
Yea thats what the first guy I called thought til it leaked like a sieve.
The second guy if not for my help was gonna give-up!

One trick is to put the "new" (buy a new G.M. stip & rubber gasket) locking strip in a tub of hot water for a few then install it with proper tool.

Offline RSBAD454

Re: ?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
I popped my windshield out by myself, mine was shattered, so I used duct tape on inside and outside of glass to hold it together. I noticed that there is some sort of sealer used around the crimp weld where rubber gasket goes.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: ?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »
I have swaped dozens of used windsheilds in and out of my trucks with used gaskets and only ever had one leak. Bought a new after market gasket to reinstall it with and when I pulled it back out it I noticed a few small rust pin holes. Sealed them up and reinstalled with the old gasket again and no leak. I have had glass companies install new glass in old gaskets and new aftremarket gaskets and had no problems with leak or fit.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: facts
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
While difficult, as Scott Dale said, it can be done.  One thing that I have found effective if one is to re-use the old seal as I often do or even when using a new one, use a razor blade on the edges of the glass, no matter how clean it looks and then wash it off with some of the spray can glass cleaner from Advance.  Then put silicone in the inner groove of the seal and work a really thin bead all the way around.  This, along with both of the tools mentioned will make the job a DIY plus one for most people.  Maybe this will encompass all involved opinions, maybe not.  I just want to offer the best advise I can.

Scottsdale

Edited by: roundedline at: 2/14/06 6:41 pm

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: gas,grass.arse nobody rides 4 free
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:59:00 AM »
I have been playing with these trucks since 1984 and started in the auto body industry in 1988. I am not trying to brag or pat myself on the back. I do however have a little knowledge to back up my opinions. I am in no way demeaning anyone elses knowledge or experiance with this paragraph so please do not take it that way.

Edited by: roundedline at: 2/14/06 6:41 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
Due to the direction this thread is taking it is being LOCKED!
All irrelevant info has been removed.  There is good info here so it will stay...

Bashing of this sort WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!  If you don't agree with someone, leave it at that and agree to disagree.  Everyone has their own opinions.  If you have an option of taking something personal, DON'T!  If you have the feeling of retaliating, DON'T!

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 2/14/06 6:43 pm