Author Topic: Port tubes  (Read 3784 times)

Offline smokin77

• Registered Users
Port tubes
« on: August 06, 2002, 10:21:00 AM »
I have an 85k10 with 2-12's in one sealed box behind the seat. Its a homade box. It sounds pretty good now but I was wondering if it would sound better with a couple ports?

Offline smokin77

• Registered Users
Oh yea..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 10:24:00 AM »
Oh and the seat is almost completely against the box, which is wedge shaped

Offline Tecton

• New Users
Re: Oh yea..
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 07:29:00 PM »
im horribly inexpirenced in this, but id say you would since its such a tight fit

Offline Eric 85K10

Ports
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 09:25:00 PM »
It depends on what kind of sound you want. A sealed box hits low, more consist, and clearer bass, and a ported box will be louded, but not as clean sounding.

What are the 12s? If you don't have the manaul for them, you can find most manauls for subs anywhere on the net. The manaul should say how big the box should be to port it and what your cons and pros are.  I'd stick with sealed, but thats my preference.

Offline 84 silverado

speakers and ports....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 10:21:00 PM »
As mentioned before, you need to find how much airspace the subs need to work right. Ther's probably not enough there but you can "fake" them into breathing better. First off, a sealed box will always make a tighter bass sound where a ported box is more "boomy". Rappers like boom, rockers tend to go tight clean bass. Ever heard Rush with sloopy bass?? Not a good thing. Anyway, you can also make your speakers "think" the enclosure is larger by putting some loose foam insulation in the box and then put the speaker back inside. This allows the air in the box to move about a little differently and the speaker thinks it has enough air. I use a single 8" bazooka self amplified tube in mine. I don't need alot of boom but the tube does great for the small area of the my cab. Hope this helps a bit, Bill