Author Topic: Time to upgrade my sterio  (Read 3835 times)

82ChevySWB4X4

Time to upgrade my sterio
« on: August 31, 2002, 10:32:00 AM »
I currently have the stock AM/FM in an 82 Scottsdale, 2 speakers behind the seat, two in the dash.  It has that infernal antenna in the windshield which I will probably swap out for a motorized antenna, if I can get away with it.

What is a good system to go for in one of these trucks without having to change things up much?  I'm looking for FM, a CD player, and good sound without going overboard.  I don't care if someone 3 blocks away can hear it, as long as I have good quality sound IN the cab.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Time to upgrade my sterio
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 08:01:00 PM »
Upgrading the stock stereo will require you to cut the dash bezel and dash to install the CD player. An air saw works very well. A set of 10" full range truck box speackers behind the seat should do the trick. You can hide an amplifier under the seat. A set of speakers will fit in the doors where the lower door panel is, and you can also upgrade the stock dash speakers. There are a lot of ways to acheive a great sounding system in the truck. But you should cater it towards the type of music you typically listen to most.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

cysq01

No Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 03:10:00 PM »
There are 10 screws in the bezel.  After taking them out go ahead and cut the dash using either the new CD player or an install kit as a guide.  Bend the shaft holes back (the CD player will hold in place better and you can also put a shaft style back in anytime).  Do the same to the bezel.  Personally, I installed 2 6 1/2" Pioneer speakers in the rear in boxes, one 10" Alumnapro Sub, an MTX 240a amplifier, a crossover network, some speakers in the doors (3 1/2'' work great) and hook it all together.  And if you like to show off, hook six x-mas lights to your amplifier and have a light show underneath your 4x4 or 4sp shroud!  Looks great!

(Oh, and by the way, if you run one sub, hook the sub's leads to the left + and right -.  Double the slam!)

kiteflyer

How do I get to the radio?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 10:15:00 PM »
I've got to get to the radio in my 85 Silverado to check the connections - it intermittently cuts off and on. How do I get to the thing? Do I have to take the dash apart, all the screws, etc. to get in there? I took off the plates under the steering wheel but still couldn't reach the wires much less see them. Any hints?